Lakeview Patriot Newsletter
for the LCHS Community - "More than a Diploma..." 02/21/22
Celebrate Black History Month - do you know Henrietta Lacks?
GRCTC Interest Form now open
High schoolers who would like to experience hands-on learning at the Gilbreath-Reed Career and Technical Center (GRCTC) can now complete the GRCTC Interest Form in Skyward.
Have questions? Contact your school counselor. Ready to submit your form? Log in to Skyward Family Access today!
NEWS FROM GISD STUDENT NUTRITION
Start using SchoolCafé on Feb. 1
Student Nutrition Services (SNS) is excited to announce the launch of SchoolCafé to replace both PayPAMS and Nutrislice beginning Feb. 1, 2022.
Parents and staff will be able to view menus, manage meal payments, set restrictions on student accounts, and apply for student meal benefits in ONE user-friendly app SchoolCafé. The SchoolCafé app can be downloaded on an Apple or Android phone by searching for SchoolCafé in the app store. SchoolCafé is also accessible at the SchoolCafé website.
The following informational videos will provide information on how to best utilize the features of SchoolCafé:
- SchoolCafé Online Application Walkthrough Video
- SchoolCafé Online Payments Walkthrough Video
- SchoolCafé Menu & Nutritional Information Walkthrough Video
For additional information visit the SchoolCafé website.
If you have any specific questions or concerns, you can contact Student Nutrition Services via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
News from GISD Transportation
Bus Registration opens March 1
All students who wish to ride a GISD bus in the 2022-23 school year must register online starting March 1. For questions, contact Transportation at 972-494-8530.
For more information about bus transportation please visit the Bus Transportation page on the district website.
The Texas Academic Performance Reports (TAPR) for Lakeview Centennial 20-21
On December 3, 2021, TEA released preliminary 2020-2021 Texas Academic Performance Reports (TAPR).
TEA’s website states, “The Texas Academic Performance Reports (TAPR) pull together a wide range of information on the performance of students in each school and district in Texas every year.
Performance is shown disaggregated by student groups, including ethnicity and socioeconomic status. The reports also provide extensive information on school and district staff, programs, and student demographics.” To view the .pdf TAPR for schools, districts, regions, and the state, as well as reporting guidelines, glossaries, and data downloads, visit TEA’s website.
The .html version of TAPR has been replaced by the Texas Performance Reporting System (TPRS). This reporting tool integrates state and federal reporting requirements and provides additional data points for student groups that were not previously reported in any other TEA data report. This includes STAAR performance and participation data based on remote and in- person learning in 2020-2021.
20-21 TAPR for LCHS is available via the TEA Link above.
GISD Parent Workshops this Semester
GISD is offering workshops throughout the year with effective parenting strategies, ideas on how to get more involved and information to help your child be successful in school and in life.
Check out the For Parents section to find out more ways that you can get support and be involved in your student's education.
- Parent University: Better Together -- 02/08/2022 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Dual Language Vietnamese information meeting -- 02/15/2022 @ 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Executive Functioning Skills -- 02/16/2022 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Autism Project: Teaching language -- 02/21/2022 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
- SSI/Medicaid -- 03/01/2022 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Autism Project: Communication skills -- 03/28/2022 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
- Sensory Strategies -- 04/06/2022 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Metrocare services and Medicaid waivers -- 04/12/2022 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Autism Project: Teaching play and social skills -- 04/25/2022 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
- Residential planning -- 05/10/2022 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Routine transitions and summer -- 05/11/2022 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Autism Project: Overcoming mealtime challenges -- 05/23/2022 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
- Autism Project: Motor Skills -- 06/06/2022 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Become a PARENT PROMISE SCHOLAR!!!
The application window is now open for parents interested in becoming a Parent Promise Scholar!
Parent Promise is a scholarship program available to the parents of students that attend one of our GISD Dallas County Promise eligible high schools: Garland HS, South Garland HS, Lakeview Centennial HS, North Garland HS, and Naaman Forest.
If the family has an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of less than $55,000, the parent is provided with a pathway to earn a certificate or Associate Degree in an in-demand field of study at no cost at participating university partners.
To get started on becoming a Parent Promise Scholar, parents must apply at
by March 1, 2022.
Click HERE for more information in English.
Click HERE for more information in Spanish.
LCHS PTSA membership is $10. The easiest way to join is online at www.joinPTA.org ($1.50 fee). Membership forms are available in the Main Office. If you use the form, print out a copy, fill it out, and place it with cash or a check made out to LCHS PTSA in an envelope in the PTSA box on the lower right below the teacher boxes.
"The Patriot Post" Read the Revolution
Read the Revolution!
LCHS NEWSPAPER "The Patriot Post"
Check the Latest edition of the Patriot Newspaper!
Class of 2022 Graduation Information from Jostens
Here is the link to the Josten's Graduation Packages
for the Class of 22
Men's Varsity Basketball VS. Mesquite Horn
Tuesday, Feb. 22nd, 7pm
1800 College Avenue
CONGRATULATIONS to the LADY PATRIOTS!! 11-3 in District Play this Year! Way to go!
LC Patriot GYMNASTICS Schedule 21-22
FYI - Gymnastics SENIOR Night March 3rd @ Brandenburg
Welcome to Patriot SOCCER!!!
Lady Patriot Varsity Soccer vs. South Garland HS
Tuesday, Feb. 22nd, 7pm
1209 East Centerville Road
Lady Patriot Varsity Soccer @ Wylie HS
Friday, Feb. 25th, 7pm
2550 East Farm to Market Road 544
Men's Varsity Soccer @ South Garland
Tuesday, Feb. 22nd, 7pm
516 Hilltop Lane
Men's Varsity Soccer vs. Wylie
Friday, Feb. 18th, 7pm
516 Hilltop Lane
Get Ready for Patriot Baseball!
Varsity Baseball @ Princeton Invitational Tournament Feb. 24-26
Batter Up! Lady Patriot Softball is underway!
Lady Softball @ Highland Park
Tuesday, Feb. 22nd, 5pm
4220 Emerson Avenue
Varsity Softball Girls @ Kaitlin Seidel Memorial Turney this week Feb 24-26 Times TBD
Patriot Tennis @ Flower Mound Marcus Feb 23rd
Garland Community Bulletin Board
Find activities happening in our tri-cities community.
The Community Bulletin Board is a resource for both GISD families and community partners. It not only provides a space to post information about events, camps and other educational programs. It also offers the opportunity to find upcoming activities around the district’s tri-cities.
English Language Learners
SNAP & READ
Have you ever wanted your students to gather information from a website, but the site was cluttered with ads and clickbait? Snap & Read can help. Snap and Read is an application on every student’s Chromebook. In just two clicks Snap and Read will remove all those distractions leaving crisp clean text and that’s just the beginning. In less than 2 minutes you can show your students how to use this awesome feature. Here’s the link!
FYI - BAD WEATHER INFORMATIONN
When bad weather breaks, rely on Garland ISD for information.
- district website – www.garlandisd.net
- Twitter – @gisdnews, @gisdnoticias
- Facebook - Garland ISD
- GRS-TV – channels 98 and 99 on Spectrum Cable, and channels 42 and 43 on Frontier Communications
- Skylert – telephone notification system
Thunderstorms, tornadoes and flash flooding
During these types of bad weather, the National Weather Service (NWS) issues a Watch or Warning. A Watch means it is possible, while a Warning means it is confirmed or currently happening.
Warnings for Garland, Rowlett or Sachse during school hours may cause a Lockout and Shelter in Place. This means no one enters or exits campuses until the NWS Warning expires. Since conditions can vary across the district, decisions are made in the best interest of all students and staff.
Snow and ice
Decisions to cancel are announced on the website, Twitter, GRS-TV and Skylert by 6 a.m. Local news stations may take longer to report it. Before canceling, we:
- check the NWS, Texas Department of Transportation and local law enforcement agencies
- drive around Garland, Rowlett and Sachse to determine the safety of bus routes, parking lots, major intersections, etc.
- talk to neighboring school districts
Early dismissal is also an option, but is used as a last resort. Delayed openings are not used because of the district’s triple-staggered bus schedule.
Bad Weather Makeup Days
In the event that classes are canceled due to bad weather or other situation, district leadership will determine if or how to makeup the missed dAY.
GISD uses the Skylert telephone notification system to alert parents and employees of school closings and other important information. This critical communication tool can notify everyone within a matter of minutes. Contact information must be updated to receive Skylert notifications.
A Day or B Day?
The block schedule calendar is set at the beginning of the year and is not altered when a day is missed due to bad weather.
For example, if the day missed was a B day, then students would return the next day to the regularly scheduled A day.
Safety and Security
- ID Badges should worn and visible at all times. All students will receive a school ID Badge when school pictures are taken, until then students may wear last year's.
- Visitors should report to the Secure Vestibule in the front of the school for screening.
- It is also expected that each of us report anything that may makes our school unsafe, either by contacting the SRO Officers at LC, the counselors, the teachers, the administrators or any staff member immediately when a concern arises. If a person wishes to remain anonymous, concerns may be reported by using this Anonymous Alert Form.
- We expect all Patriots at LC to be safe and enjoy everything about LCHS this year. Please know all of Garland ISD, LC Administration, Faculty and Staff work hard to ensure everyone in the LCHS Patriot Community stays safe each and every day.