Island School PTA Newsletter
Message from the Co-chairs
There is a welcome nip in the air, our uniform shop has been busy with students and parents visiting as they prepare for the cooler weather to come.
“Thank you” to all those who attended our Annual General Meeting last month, it was a wonderful opportunity for everyone to meet other parents and hear more about the ISPTA, what’s been keeping us busy!
We are delighted to introduce to you our enthusiastic & energetic ISPTA Committee for 2015/2016.
Chairs Sonali Laul, Christine Brendle
Communications Giovanna Cocomazzi, Lucia Maruzzelli
Donations & Sponsorships Gini Lo, Sheila Chan
Fairs Mindy Moser, Valerie Pijpers
Fellowship Andy Lowe, Jessie Yung
Graphic Design Alefiyah Ebrahim
Higher Education & Careers Angela Wong, Jessie Yung, Kelvin Lee, Swapna Kotkar
Honorary Member Toni Marie Hatherly
Island School Chris Binge (Principal), Julian Reed, Mary Lacey Vittachi, Rebecca Yip
IT & Website David Fung
Secretary Andy Lowe, Kelvin Lee
Treasury Alex Chin, David Fung, Helen Sze
Volunteers Coord. & Welcome Aparna Bubna, Alisha Ma, Patti Lam
Parent Rep Coordinator Alefiyah Ebrahim, Angela Wong
We are looking forward to partnering with you all as we work towards the ISPTA’s mission
"Contributing to the Island School community by providing support to the school’s leadership team, teachers, parents, alumni & students on initiatives that enhance the overall learning experience for our children".
SONALI LAUL & CHRISTINE BRENDLE
SAVE THE DATE!
- OCTOBER 19th (Monday) - 23rd (Friday) Half Term Break
- NOVEMBER 9th (Monday) - PTA Committee Meeting
- NOVEMBER 12th (Thursday) - Y11 PTA Coffee Morning, The Helena May
- NOVEMBER 14th (Saturday) - Winter Fair
For more information please click here to visit the ISPTA website.
The Winter Fair is approaching fast and furiously…
Annual charity fundraising
How can we do it successfully?
How can we maximize income to support our school?
How can you help?
We are looking for the following DONATIONS:
STUDENT GAMES STALLS
White, red and black tablecloths
Black, White Bunting
Red, White, Black, Silver Balloons
Black, Red tinsel
Materials for signs (cardboard, paints etc.)
Haunted House Decorations
Orange and Black fabric (old or new)
Creepy Props: spiders, webs, candles, skulls, tombstones
Any scary costumes including wigs, zombie makeup
Bottles of wine and spirits
NEW GIFTS AND TOYS
Unwanted gifts, overstock from showrooms or factories
2nd HAND BOOKS, VIDEO GAMES, DVDS, CDS
No pirated copies, please!
Christmas decorations, crackers, wrap, ribbon and cards
BAKED GOODS (we never have enough!!)
Christmas themed cakes and cupcakes, desserts, biscuits, brownies, custard tarts, tray bakes, banana loaves, pound cakes and any other treats! PLEASE, NO NUTS (except Xmas cakes)!
MONEY DONATIONS are also gratefully accepted! If you would like to donate to the PTA in this form, please send a cheque payable to "Island School PTA Limited" to Sandra Logan, our PTA Manager, c/o Island School PTA, 20 Borrett Road, Hong Kong.
Please contact Aparna Bubna at email@example.com if you would like to help in any way. All help is significantly appreciated.
Gift vouchers, services and prizes, for example
- Chef cooking for a dinner party
- Sold out concert tickets
- Sporting Event VIP tickets
- Round trip air tickets to anywhere for two
- Junk trip around Hong Kong Islands
- Room vouchers for Ritz Carlton, Mandarin, Four Seasons
- Disneyland Tickets for four (4)
- Travel Experiences
- Patio Makeover
- Sports Memorabilia
- Limo Service for Night Out
- Helicopter Ride
- Spa Day
- High-End Purses & Jewelry
- Art Works by known Artists or Island School Student’s
- House at the Beach/Mountains
- Home Decorating Advisor
- Golfing Weekend
- Closet Makeover
- Theatre Passes
- Private Tours
- Private Lessons (Art, Music, Academic, Cooking, Sports etc.)
- Studio Photography Shooting for Family Pictures
- Restaurant Vouchers
- New Apple iPhone or iPad
- Bottles of wine and spirits
For all Silent Auction related donations please contact:
Donations & Sponsorships Committee Members
Sheila Chan firstname.lastname@example.org 91981882
Gini Lo email@example.com 93101710
How Does a Silent Auction Work?
This year, we have added a Silent Auction to the Winter Fair to try to achieve a goal beyond our expectations.
A silent Auction is simply items or services upon which people can bid.
A minimum bid is set. A bidding sheet allows people to write down their names, contact details and bids. This gives people a chance, during the event, to tour
the different items available at the auction and decide which items they would like to bid on.
The bidding sheet shows all previous bids so that people participating in the silent auction know that they need to bid higher in order to get the item.
They also have the opportunity to revisit bidding sheets before the auction
is closed if they really want something being offered. Typically each new bid entered
on the form will be higher than the last bid (like a regular auction).
The auctioneer will examine the written bids at the close of the auction to determine
which bid wins the prize.
At the end of the auction, the winners will be announced.
It's a good way to be in touch with other parents from your child’s year group and address queries, advices, ideas and help in settling down and being part of the Island School community.
We have 13 WhatsApp groups managed by Parent Representatives of each year group, who help to connect the parent community. These groups are especially useful for parents who are new to Island School.
ISLAND SCHOOL PARENT REPRESENTATIVES 2015 - 2016
HIGHLIGHTS FROM PTA MEETING MINUTES
October 5th 2015
- The co-chairs welcomed the new committee and reminded members of the mission and goals of ISPTAL.
- All committee members were invited to consider specific roles in different functional teams, and the different teams were described.
- There was a productive brainstorming discussion on potential new ways to fundraise and it was noted that we need to be careful to ensure no duplication with the 50th-anniversary celebrations.
- It was decided to hold a silent auction at the winter fair.
- The discontinued uniform stock shall be written off and donated to Baiwan charity.
- In the Principal’s report Chris described some of the activities relating to the decant and shared some of the upcoming events and milestones.
- The fair committee presented the budget for the fair and were thanked by the chairs for having got an early start on organization.
The uniform shop has been restocked and now has all sizes and houses available in the PE tops. The size 13 boys shirts and 24 and 34 boys shorts are also back in stock.
Did you know that the bookshop sells art supplies at very attractive prices?
Some of the items available are:
Holbein soft pastels & acrylics
Kai water colours
Staedtler Luna water colour pencils
Staedler Mars lumograph drawing pencils(sold individually) – HB, F, 2B, 3B, 4B, 5B, 2H, 3H, 6H and 6B
PTA Office Managerpta@online.island.edu.hk
Island School PTA is the owner of the copyright in all content of this publication. Distributing, modifying, copying or using any content of this publication in any manner for public or commercial purposes without written permission from Island School is strictly prohibited. Views expressed in this publication do not necessarily represent those of Island School or the English Schools Foundation.