We had another great week in first grade! Thank you for sending in apples cubes with your child last week. They really enjoyed the STREAM project. There are pictures below!
This week is ITBS testing for 2nd-8th grade. Our Encore schedules will be changed for this week.
* Our school Mass is on Friday of this week.
Our reading selection for this week is Goodnight Moon. With this book, we will work on rhyming, story sequencing, parts of speech, and compare and contrasting.
In phonics, we will learn how to read and spell: F, H, G, R
At the bottom of the phonics homework, there is a list of high frequency words. Please practice reading these each night with your child. Also, please review the brief explanation of what was taught in phonics which is written on the bottom of each homework page. It is always good practice to review these skills with your child.
Our First Spelling Test is also this week. List of words and sentences can be found on homework sheet.
Writing and L.A. News
We will study the poem "The Clock", discovering rhymes, unfamiliar words and discussing plurals, possessives, and antonyms.
We will write a book entitled "Goodnight School" as a class.
This week in Math, we will begin Chapter 3 on addition and Ways to Add.
* We will work on number recognition, addition problems, number bonds, counting coins, fact families, place value,telling time to the hour, and counting by ones, fives, and tens during our morning work.
In Religion this week, we will continue Chapter 2 God's Gift for us and take a test this week over that. We will also be making a craft.
· Religion test over Chapter 2 is on Wednesday.
· Test over our D.O.L’s (Morning work sentences) is on Thursday.
· Phonics assessment over the voiced and unvoiced sounds of s (/z/ and /s/), consonant d, and blends pl, st, sp, sl, and sn is on Friday.
· Spelling Test on Friday.
Spelling Words: on, no, not, top, pop, I , in, it, pin, tip
Dictated Sentences: Pin it on. Tip it in.
· Our next High Frequency Word Test is on Oct. 11th.
· Sign of the Cross Prayer test is on Oct. 18th.