The Bulldog Buzz!
Week of March 23, 2015
Don't forget to post the Words of the Week!
Lesson Plans Due
Monday, March 23rd, 8:30am
Early Dismissal Week
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Book Fair
- Data Review Meetings Begin
$5.00 Staff Jeans Day
Friday, March 27th, 8:30am
The Curriculum Corner: The Standards of Mathematical Practice
In last week's article, Steve Leinwand unpacked SMP #3 (Constructing Viable Arguments & Critique the Reasoning of Others). He begins by stating that this standard contains the "nine most important words in the entire Common Core" and I couldn't agree more! In addressing this standard, our students must move beyond simply solving the problem, to focusing on how the problem is solved. As Leinwand states, they must be encouraged to communicate, justify, critique & reflect. This will ensure that our focus shifts from a single approach, to "many approaches & justifications, thereby strengthening everyone's learning." In short, our classroom environment must provide opportunities for students to:
- Provide explanations & justifications as part of their solution processes (making & evaluating conjectures)
- Make sense of their classmates' solutions by asking questions for clarification
- Facilitate meaningful discussions about mathematics
Click on the link below to explore SMP #4: Model with Mathematics, and let us know what "social norms" you have established in the classroom to support purposeful talk via social media, email or in the footer of The Buzz!
News & Notes
- As we address student behaviors, it is essential that communication with the counselor, parent/guardian & myself is timely. It is also essential that behaviors are documented via our ODR forms. This will help to ensure that everyone is on the same page & that we have documentation to support our interventions.
- Please remember to arrive at duty locations on time so that our arrival/dismissal routines run like clockwork.
You're the Best...Quotes from the staff!
- Thank you to the first grade team. I truly appreciate your willingness to share your expertise
- Shout out to Mel and Nicole (SWERNER) for making our class feel special during the PARCC!!!
- Thank you Rita for being our leprechaun!
- Thanks pud for your perseverance and dedication to the garden.
- A special thank you to Lauren for all your tech help this week. It really does take a village…
- Thank you Heather for always helping me out and being a great friend…
- Christine – Thank you for all your help this week! We are always very appreciative.
- Thank you to all the 2nd 3rd grade and special area teachers for your flexibility this week and next week in preparation for the 2nd grade level concert!
- Thank you Pud & Fanfy for all the support!
Marian Dunn, Thank you for all your help this week!
Lauren, Thanks for working so well together!
- 03/02: Scholastic Pajama Drive Begins (3/2-3/6)
- 03/06: Monthly Collaboration Time
- 03/09: PARCC Assessment Begins (03/09-03/13)
- 03/16: PARCC Make-ups (03/16-03/20)
- 03/23: Parent Teacher Conferences & Book Fair (03/23-03/27)
- 03/26: 2nd Grade Concert (9:30 AM, Gymnasium)
- 03/30: ACCESS Testing Begins