Ms. Gagarin's Gazzette
6th Grade World Cultures
End of Year Reminders- From the Registrar
• If your child will not be returning to an MISD campus for the 2017-18 school year please contact Laurie Kiley at email@example.com or 469-302-6909 to find out withdrawal procedures.
• Final report cards will be mailed over the summer. Please log in to the Home Access Center and verify that your address information is accurate. If you have moved or need this information updated, please contact the Registrar at the e-mail address or phone above before the end of the school year.
• Every MISD guardian will be required in early August to complete a Returning Student Update through the Home Access Center. If you do not have your guardian login information, please contact the Registrar before the end of the school year.
End of Year Reminders- From Nurse
• State law requires all 7th grade students to receive immunizations need to be in by May 31st. Please bring or send proof that your incoming 7th grader has received their TDAP and Meningitis vaccination by May 31st.
• All medications on file in the clinic must be picked up by May 31st BY AN ADULT. Medications cannot be carried by students. ALL MEDICATIONS LEFT IN THE CLINIC WILL BE DESTROYED ON JUNE 1ST AT THE END OF THE SCHOOL DAY. (This includes epi-pens and inhalers.) Medication cannot be stored at school over the summer
• If you have special circumstances please call the nurse at 469-302-6914 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org Please note immunization reports can be faxed, brought in or emailed to me at Fax 469-302-6901
What's new this week???
6th grade Social Studies is piloting a program called "Canvas". This is the program the high schools are using to house their courses and content. Lessons and quizzes are on the computer and students will be taught how to access these lessons. Canvas is great because it allows for everything to be accessed either at school or at home. Ask your child to show you their Canvas account!
This last week of school we are learning about Australia to wrap-up the year! Can you believe it? Time flies when you’re having fun! It has been pure joy to learn about your child this year--learning goes both ways. I leave you with a poem that symbolizes our feelings as we return your child a little taller, smarter, sweeter, kinder.
It's time to say, "Good-bye."
Our year has come to an end.
I've made more cherished memories
And many more new friends.
I've watched your children learn and grow
And change from day to day.
I hope that all the things we've done
Have helped in some small way.
So it's with happy memories
I send them out the door,
With great hope and expectations
For what next year holds in store.
-----------by Maria Cuellar-Munson
Have a Wonderful and Safe Summer!
Please check with your child about his/her supply of pencils. I have had many students come to class without a pencil to write with. Pencils donations for the classroom are much appreciated!
Also, they need a pair of earbuds to complete classroom activities and work. Thank you so much!!
Please remind your child they should not have their phones out during class (without permission) or in the hallway. We are having a problem with students being on phones during instruction or running into things/people in the hallway because of noses in phones. Thank you!
Grading and Middle School
Grading is very different at the middle school level. Please keep a close eye on your child’s grades, as they are new to secondary school. Grades are posted in the Home Access Center (HAC). MISD’s grading policy is out of a 100% scale and split into summative and formative grades. Summative grades count as 70% of the grade for that quarter and formative as 30%. It is also important that all assignments are turned in or that could negatively impact their overall grades. If you happen to see a "Z" for an assignment, that means that your child has not turned it in and it is consider "missing"-0%. If there is an “X” in the grade book, your child has missed an assignment but is not expected to make it up, this will not count against them. If your child earns below an 80% on a summative grade they must attend a tutoring session and then a retesting session. The higher of the two testing grades, and only up to an 80%, will be what is recorded in the grade book. Only one retesting opportunity will be given. There are no opportunities given for formative grades to be raised; quizzes, homework, and daily assignments, are examples of formative grades.
Welcome to Faubion Middle School
Middle School is a short and exciting time in a student's academic life. Students grow and change physically and academically. There are many ways to get involved, have fun, and learn. Faubion is the BEST place to be! If you have questions please feel free to email me at: email@example.com If I don't have the answer, I will find one or point you in the right direction.
1. Difficulty understanding concepts
2. Need assistance completing work
I am available:
Monday & Tuesday mornings 8:15-8:40
Tuesday after school 3:45- 4:30
Tuesday and Thursday, we have a late bus- meaning we have a bus for students at 4:30 which will drop students off at the elementary school near their home.