Temporary Campus Tell All #2
The Week of August 26th
Osceola Science Charter Closed Tuesday September 3rd
Hurricane Dorian Update
Friday, August 30, 2019 12:30 p.m.
Osceola Schools To Be Closed Tuesday, September 3, for Hurricane Dorian
All Osceola district public schools will be closed on Tuesday, September 3, due to Hurricane Dorian. All school activities, events, and programs scheduled for that day are also canceled. As a reminder, students do not have school on Monday, September 2, in observation of Labor Day.
While the path of the storm still remains uncertain, forecasters are expecting deteriorating weather conditions heading into next week to include sustained heavy winds and possible substantial rainfall for Osceola County. A number of Osceola schools are needed as shelters as early as Sunday for residents in Osceola County, as well as for those Floridians evacuating from the south and coastal counties.
Parents and community residents are encouraged to monitor the district’s social media posts and website at www.osceolaschools.net for any further school district updates. Individuals can also call the district’s Community Relations Office at 407-870-4007 for the latest school district information.
UPDATES ON OUR BUILDING & TRANSPORTATION INTEREST
Please access the link below in order to stay updated with Building Hope, it describes the draft plan for a transportation depot and provides a more refined construction timeline. Building Hope is seeking feedback on a proposed transportation depot that would be near the John Young campus. Each morning, buses to the temporary campuses would depart from Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee and return students to the depot in the afternoon and evening. There is also an update on progress this week at the construction site, and Building Hope provides a more specific time frame for completing the school's new building. Like us, the construction team is monitoring Hurricane Dorian closely. We will keep you posted.
Study Island is one of the most effective tools that we have. Based on research and experience, Study Island provides great feedback about students’ mastery on standards. This data can be used for variety of reasons in instruction. Please see following Study Island expectations and notes:
- In order for a Study Island quiz to be complete, a student must earn a Blue Ribbon (70%+).
- All Study Island quizzes will be entered on OSCS Connect as a grade.
- Study Island will be assigned for homework and will also be used in class.
- Kindergarten – 2nd Grade must complete all ELA & Math Study Island quizzes for their grade level by May 4th, 2020.
- 3rd Grade must complete all 3rd grade ELA Study Island quizzes by March 9th, 2020 and all 3rd grade Math Study Island quizzes by April 10th, 2020.
- 4th Grade must complete all 4th grade ELA & Math Study Island quizzes by April 10th, 2020.
- 5th Grade must complete all 5th grade ELA, Math & Science Study Island quizzes by April 10th, 2020. Please note that for Science, students will be assigned a collective set of lessons including 3rd - 5th grade tested standards.
- Periodic Study Island incentives will take place to keep students on track and keep them motivated.
What is i-Ready?
i-Ready is an online program for reading and/or mathematics that will help your child’s teacher(s) determine your child’s needs, personalize their learning, and monitor progress throughout the school year. i-Ready allows your teacher(s) to meet your child exactly where they are and provides data to increase your child’s learning gains. i-Ready consists of two parts: Diagnostic and Instruction.
We will begin i-Ready testing next week and use this data to formulate MTSS (intervention groups).
For additional information on i-Ready, please visit the i-Ready Family Center
St Cloud Campus
Learning beyond the classroom
In the classroom
Osceola Science Soccer
Next week we will officially start our Soccer season. Soccer practice is at St. Cloud campus and they will start after school. For now we only have teams for boys and girls from 4th, 5th and 6th grade. Once we move to our new campus we will announce the tryouts for K through 3rd grade. We have limited spaces available because we are sharing the sports facilities with Mater Academy but once we move to our new campus we will be able to accommodate every student in their respective teams. If your child is interested in joining the Soccer team, please send me an email and will gladly answer all of your questions.