GCS Media Matters
Upcoming Task and Dates to Remember for this Week.
This Week May 9-13
- May 10th – April GCS Reads 20 Minutes Due •
May 11th – Middle School PLC (ARC Processing & Guest Speaker on Primary Resources for Middle)
May 11th - High School PLC (ARC Processing & Guest Speaker on Primary Resources for HIGH)•
May 12th – Elementary PLC Falkener Elementary
(NOTE LOCATION CHANGE) (ARC Processing & Guest Speakers on STREAM and Summer Reading Programs)
Are you looking for funding to improve your collection?
Other Grant Opportunities to build your library Collection
AASL Introduces Inspire Grants
The Inspire Special Event Grant provides up to $2,000 in funding to a school library looking to engage students with school library resources and promote reading, books, literacy and authors. The funds can be used to create a new or enhance an existing extracurricular activity which will increase student achievement. A total of $10,000 will be distributed to schools annually.
Up to $20,000 per year will be awarded as part of the Inspire Collection Development Grant. To improve student achievement, public school libraries may apply for up to $5,000 in funds to extend, update, and diversify their book, online, subscription and/or software collections.
Click below to get a closer look!
Summer Workshop at the Newseum in DC
Summer Workshop at the Newseum in DC: Join Annenberg Learner and the Newseum for a FREE three-day institute (July 18-20) for practicing 6-12 teachers, librarians or media resource specialists who are actively using technology in their classrooms, whether through blogs, social communication tools or creating websites, but are looking for novel uses. Applications are due May 8. For more info, click here! (Shared by Duke-UNC Consortium for Middle East Studies)
NCSLMA Call to present open.... Click here to find out more.
Check out what April Parker is doing at Gillispie Park...
FREE Office 2016
In a continued effort to provide GCS staff with current and useful technology resources at work as well as home, we are excited to let you know that Office 2016 can now be downloaded for home use. The download is for current GCS employees to use on their home computers at no cost to the employee. Each employee with a valid GCS email and password will be licensed to install Office 2016 on up to 5 (five) personal devices, i.e. desktops, laptops.
To access the Office 2016 download simply launch a web browser, i.e. IE, Edge, etc. go to the GCS Homepage, www.gcsnc.com, click on the Employee tab and select the GCS Webmail link. You will be prompted to sign in with your GCS username and password, once successfully logged in you will have access to install the software.
For a brief overview of the available programs, as well as instructions to assist with downloading and installation you may copy or click the link provided below:
ARC Processing instructions
The following information is to keep you updated and informed about the ARC processing recommendations.
1) Principals were informed at last weeks principal meeting of an overview of the process and that CFs will be invited to optional unpacking sessions this week.
2) It has been recommended that CF’s be instructed to NOT TOUCH until their optional unpacking training regionally.
(Training for CF’s will be May 12, 13)
3) We recommend that Media Specialists DO NOT TOUCH anything until unpacking training at this weeks PLC.
(May 11th for middle and High May 12th for Elementary)
4) Media Specialists will be instructed to put the proper barcodes in the boxes to allow teacher involvement in the labeling process. (Barcodes were sent in a separate flat white box to all schools receiving materials. Rather than in the individual boxes)
5) It is recommended that CF’s will be instructed to work with their media specialist to coordinate the unpacking and labeling by the teachers.
6) Media Specialists will be instructed to work with their CF to develop a schedule and plan to involve teachers in the labeling and unpacking of the materials.
7) Media Specialists will catalog the barcoded materials in Destiny and check out to teachers.
8) Media Specialists will be instructed to train CF’s on using the mobile app to check in and out ARC materials so both can scan the barcode on items found lying round school to determine the copy status and efficiently get the books back to the intended basket.
· All materials will need to be barcoded to ensure that the books can be efficiently replaced to the correct tub when separated from the tub.
· Barcodes will be sent with the materials to your schools
· Each Tub and Set will all have the same barcode number.
· Jackie will send out cataloging information
GASL cordially invites you to our End of the Year event!
Let’s celebrate the end of a long year and honor those who are retiring. We hope you can join the festivities.
- WHEN: Wed. May 25, 2016 – 5:00-7:00
- WHERE: Glenn McNairy Branch Library 4860 Lake Jeanette Rd., Greensboro
- Retiree recognition at 6:00
Drop by and join us for whatever time you can!
You have your choice of boxed dinner – all served with dessert, too!
- Chicken Salad Croissant
- Turkey Wrap
- Ham and Swiss
- Veggie Wrap
- Sweet and Unsweet tea
Please choose your meal option on the linked survey below and send payment (checks to GASL) for $9.00 to Aislynn Denny at Guilford Middle School
(plan ahead – remember courier only runs a few days a week so plan accordingly)Click here to make your dinner choice (by May 20!)
Library Media Services
Have a wonderful week!
- Remember: If you would like text reminders about media services events text @mediaspe to (469)209-4439
- Employee of the Month CLICK HERE to nominate someone for Employee of the Month.