Montana Catholic Schools Weekly
November 23, 2015
Last week marked the conclusion of our regional principal meetings. Below is the good news from each one of our schools:
· Billings Central Catholic HS: service focus at this time of the year provides opportunities for students to help others in need; good news received for seniors from early admission to national universities
· Butte Central Catholic ES: successful WCEA accreditation visit
· Butte Central Catholic HS: Thanksgiving dinner served approximately 800 people
· Central Catholic (Great Falls) HS: utilizing the Ursuline Centre to house 15 international boarding students and two from Montana; enrollment has risen
· De La Salle Blackfeet School: chess program has been successful; school is organizing its self-study for next year’s visit
· Holy Spirit (Great Falls): successful WCEA accreditation visit spotlighted their strong Catholic identity
· Loyola Sacred Heart HS (Missoula): received endorsement from the Jesuit Schools Network, renewing their historical connection to the Jesuits
· Our Lady of Lourdes (Great Falls): adopted Open Sys as their Student Information System which also has potential for curriculum mapping; preparing for spring WCEA visit
· Pretty Eagle (St. Xavier): successful WCEA accreditation visit affirmed the staff’s work
· Sacred Heart (Miles City): after being turned away from their long-standing partnership with the public schools, SH developed its own sports teams
· St. Andrew (Helena): now recognized as a private Catholic school in the Diocese of Helena; adopted RenWeb this year as a Student Information System
· St. Francis Primary (Bilings): the new “SMILE” board honors students who are “caught” performing acts of kindness
· St. Francis Intermediate (Billings): Tim Lowe, the new principal, is learning his new role and concurrently serving as the Education Director (implementing standards-based grading, 1:1 iPad program, etc)
· St. Francis Upper (Billings): developing formative assessment programs
· St. Joe’s (Missoula): Launching a new type of enrollment night with registration incentives for current families; staff is undergoing a new type of emergency training
· St. Jude Thaddeus (Havre): new SLEs adopted and work on the self-study underway
· St. Labre Elementary: new PLC meetings have proven successful
· St. Labre HS: “Works of Mercy” program brought students to Billings to perform service projects
· St. Labre Middle School: great results from their emphasis on positive discipline with attendance up, behavioral referrals down, and test scores up
· St. Mary’s (Livingston): new blended learning model is being implemented, communication vital to new and current families
· St. Matt’s (Kalispell): successful WCEA accreditation visit; enrollment is up in entry grades
· St. Paul Mission Grade School (Hays): Without the Jesuits, the school is adjusting to new lay pastoral leaders and priests serving from Malta; self-study work is underway
Dr. Tim Uhl, Superintendent
Sacred Heart traditions
The halls of Sacred Heart Elementary School are lined with graduation pictures stretching back over 100 years. The elementary school is housed in the old high school building.
Name that Founder!
Not a saint but on his way, this priest paved the way
Pajamas for books
Cassidy Sausenbaugh, the new 1st grade teacher at Sacred Heart, started a pajama drive to help the needy. This program through Scholastic rewards students with new books for bringing in new pajamas.
Sacred Heart traditions
The Week Ahead
Tues: Missoula meetings
Wed: office (Helena)
Thurs-Sun: Thanksgiving break (NB there will not be a newsletter next week)
This week: 445 miles
Last week: 1,064 miles
2015-16: 10,462 driving miles/ 5,184 air miles
2. Below in the Teaching & Instruction section there is a link to the CRS Global High School initiative.
3. Upcoming dates: Jan 17th high school meeting in Billings, Jan 26th virtual principal meetings (9 am & 1 pm).
4. I've included the Fall Survey at the end of this newsletter. If you haven't had a chance to take it yet, please make sure to take the survey.