News from 4th Grade
Week of 4/3 - 4/7
News at a Glance...
- There will be no school on Friday, April 14th.
- There WILL BE SCHOOL (Snow Day make-up) on Thursday, April 13th and Monday, April 10th.
- Math PSSAs will begin on Monday, April 24th and continue through Wednesday.
- Science PSSAs will begin on Monday, May 1st and continue through May 2nd.
- Our school art show will be on Monday, April 24th at 7pm!
Oh the weather makes it better...
Here Clayton is reading with his first grade book buddy!
To read outside...
Here Grace is reading with her first grade book buddy!
with a friend!!
Here McKenzie is reading with her first grade book buddy!
Lingle Avenue Art Show
Monday, April 24th, 7pm
600 South Lingle Avenue
What we're learning this week....DESPITE our crazy testing schedule!
Journey's, Lesson 23: This week we ask the question, "How do forests and trees show change?" In our informational text, The Ever-Living Tree, we'll compare the growth of a tree to events taking place throughout the world. We'll also read, Towering Trees, a poetry selection about redwoods.
- Vocabulary: resources, dense, evaporate, shallow, moisture, civilized, continent, opportunities, customs, independent
- Vocabulary strategy: Prefixes pre-, inter-, ex-
- Comprehension skill: Text and graphic features - understand how illustrations and other features add to the text.
- Comprehension strategy: Monitor/clarify - use reading techniques to understand confusing passages of text
Homework: The weekly homework sheet will go home this week. Students are expected to read at least 20 minutes per night. There will be no required reading on Thursday night, due to no school on Friday.
Data and Patterns: This week we will continue learning about creating, adapting and reading different forms of data collection (e.g. bar graphs, pictographs, line plots, tally charts) and will have a brief quiz on Tuesday. We will spend Wednesday and Thursday learning and practicing patterns (using numbers, shapes, etc).
Fluency: Although we no longer have weekly fluency quizzes, students are still taking weekly timed "math minutes." They are expected to make progress with each week so continue to practice your facts at home and use Reflex!
Homework: Homework will go home on Monday and it will be another column sheet to review skills learned from this year. Students are welcome to complete the homework pages early, however I do check them every day. There will be no homework Thursday evening, due to no school on Friday.
PSSAs: What can I do to help?
Thank you to those who have sent a snack in already!!
We would greatly appreciate if you could donate an item for our snacks. All snacks are health(ish), and are able to be eaten despite braces, and retainers. Please use the sign-up link below if you are able to help! Thank you!