What is it?
WSWHE BOCES MultiMedia Services has recently begun a trial for NBC Learn, a video streaming service created for K-12 students and teachers. If the product is well received, I will do what I can to make this streaming service available for members of the MultiMedia Service. For more information, go to the very bottom of this page for printable materials. NBC Learn materials are available in the SNAP catalog.
NBC Learn K-12 is a rich, dynamic, and innovative resource that provides thousands of historic news reports, current events stories, original stories, primary source documents, and other digital media specifically designed to help teach and engage students of all levels and abilities.
NBC Learn K-12 provides an easy, affordable, and effective way to infuse technology and digital media into 21st century learning.
NBC Learn K-12 includes:
- Over 19,000 resources - short 2 to 5 minute videos are engaging, relevant and inspiring, and help students develop critical thinking skills.
- Daily Current events - updated Monday-Friday, use these resources to help connect the real world to the classroom.
- Aligned to state standards and the Common Core - search titles by state, subject, and grade level.
- Mapped to curriculum - resources aligned to 30 K-12 subject areas including Social Studies, Science, Business and Personal Finance, Language Arts, and Health & Wellness.
- Personal playlists - keep resources organized in the "My Playlists" tab.
- Safe and trustworthy - each resource is selected to be K-12 appropriate, and held to the highest NBC News Standards and Practices.
- Interactive CueCard - patented media player makes downloading, annotating, citing and embedding resources fun and easy.
- Emmy award-winning original video - NBC Learn series include such celebrated collections as "Science of Innovation," "Science of NFL Football," "Science and Engineering of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games," "Chemistry NOW!" "Finishing the Dream: Learning from the Civil Rights Era," and much more.
- 508 Accessible ‒ NBC Learn is certified as 508 accessible to allow users with motor, vision, or hearing disabilities to have full access to the resource.
The NBC Learn content collections:
- Over 19,000 resources aligned to 30 K-12 subject areas including more than 80 years of archival NBC News materials from 1920 to the present.
- Current Events, updated daily Monday-Friday
- Hundreds of primary source documents from the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History.
- STEM-related content supports core sciences of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Sciences, Computer Sciences, and Environment Sciences.
- Original and engaging instructional content in vocabulary and grammar, plus hundreds of reading and writing topics.
- Interviews with authors, essayists, and writers of note on some of the significant works of the 20th century.
- Health and Wellness resources that support the latest breakthroughs in physical health, mental health, and health-related careers.
- Stories about economics, banking, investing, and entrepreneurship in the Business and Personal Finance collection.
- Resources include a full set of bibliographic information including a printable transcript, closed captioning (videos), copyright, source, etc.
NBC Learn has partnered with Edgate Correlation Services, Inc. to correlate all of our resources to all 50 U.S. state standards as well as the U.S. Common Core. Our state standards search allows teachers to search for NBC Learn content aligned by state, grade level, and subject area.
For media specialists and librarians, our resources are also support the AASL standards. Click here to learn more.