Second Grade Rock Stars
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
Coming on Tour Soon:
- 09/21: Math Monday: Click HERE to answer the Problem!
- 09/24: WCMS Chili Cook Off on the Pebblewood Campus
- 09/30: Parents Go To School Night Fall Edition 6:00-7:30pm
- 10/01: Coffee Talk with Admin 7:00-8:20am
- 10/01: Picture Day!
- 10/01: WAVE Meeting 6:30-7:30pm Del Paso BASE Room
- 10/14: International Walk to School Day
- 10:15: WCS Board Meeting 6:30pm on Pebblewood- Room P11
- 10/19: Picture Day Retakes
- 10/24: Fall Festival
Properties of a Liquid
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
Wow, have we been ROCKIN'! We have been busy, busy, busy with learning, discussing, experimenting, reflecting, and having fun! We've been learning all about scientists and matter. Thank you to Scientist Susan Ramones for stopping in to talk about your job, all that you do, and leading the sink or float experiment! It was simply fantastic! Check out the pictures above. We definitely have a great group of inquisitive scientists! We also studied the properties of liquids, did the dancing (raisins experiment (raisins in 7UP), and even tested to see which soda explodes the highest when mentos are mixed with it. Note to self: never drink a soda while eating mentos! Check out the video below for some of the explosions!
We also learned about Madam the Powerful Predictor! She looks into her crystal ball to try see what will happen in the future. She uses this amazing skill of prediction, guessing what will happen next, while she is reading and that is what makes her a fantastic reader. We read the book, Fortunately, Unfortunately, and made some predictions with the help of our real crystal ball. Then, they made predictions while reading in their own book.
MathMagicians: They Persevere and Solve Problems like it's magic!
We have been a movin' and a groovin' with Math Workshop. We also do something called exemplars or "Mathmagicians" as I call it. Students work on solving the problem using strategies, they also write their reasoning and explanation, and draw a picture to prove it. A Mathmagician also shows more than one way to solve the problem. After, we discuss as a class what we did to solve the problem (that helps us notice some different strategies and allows students to articulate their reasoning). Then students go back to their seats and try to solve a similar problem using a different way then they had before- using one of the new strategies they learned from another classmate. It is awesome!
Sensory Details and Creative Writing
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Vocabulary, Making Connections
Writing: Adding Supportive Details, Ending Punctuation
Language: Proper Nouns, Collective Nouns, Irregular Plural Nouns
Science: Matter, then Erosion
Questions to ask your child...
- What is matter? What are the 3 states of matter?
- What is a hypothesis? What was your hypothesis on the raisins in the 7 up experiment?
- What do scientists do? (ask questions, make a hypothesis, do an experiment to test the hypothesis, make observations and record information, then they look at the data/information, and last, they come to a conclusion)
- How are subtraction and Addition similar? How are they different?
- Can you name one strategy you could use for subtraction?
- What does Madam do that makes her a great reader?
- Who did you say that you appreciate for helping you, inspiring you, or supporting you on our Thankful Thursday? Why?
Contact the Band Manager!
Second Grade Teacher
Westlake Charter School
All of Second Grade Reminders Text: @wcs2nd to the phone number: 81010
Messages that only pertain to our class: text @4rockstar to the number: 81010