Psychologist "State of Mind"
by: Hailee Jepson 4th hour
Basic Informatin about being a Psychologist
- There are three types of psychologist - research, counseling, and applied.
- They study how people think, feel, and act.
- They try to understand, explain, and sometimes change the behavior of how people act.
- Psychologists work close to patients.
- They also work days, nights, and sometimes weekends.
- About 26% are self-employed.
- They have to have at least a masters degree.
- Some jobs require a doctorate degree.
- Psychologist that work for a private practice need a doctorate and a license from the state.
- The typical salary ranges in Wisconsin is between $33,810-$105,610.
Pros for being a Psychologist
1. 26% are self-employed so you could pick your hours and when you want to work.
2. The salary is as high as $109,340 per year nation wide so you can get paid a lot of money.
3. You get to help people that need your help and get to see how others live.
Cons for being a Psychologist
1. You can be on call and get called in, in the middle of the night or when you are spending time with your family.
2. The lowest national salary range is $38,450 per year which isn't that much.
3. A patient could be dangerous so you could be put in a dangerous situation.
What classes you need to take in high school and college to become a Psychologist
College: Some college courses you can take include Statistics and Research Methods, Develpoment, Applied, Social/Personality.
3 colleges you can attend to be a Psychologist
Universtiy of Wisconsin Green Bay
Green Bay, WI 54311-7001
1. In-state tuition is only $7,758.
2. There is only 6,735 students enrolled.
3. It's not required to live on campus.
1. Only 33% of students live on campus.
2. You can only get an Associate, Bachelor's, Master's degree so if you want to be a psychologist that needs a doctorate degree you will have to go to another school for that.
3. It's about $800 for books.
Argosy University, Twin Cities
Eagan, MN 55121
1. It's a little far from home but it's not that far.
2. The in-state tuition and the out of state tuition is the same.
3. Free student parking on campus.
1. The tuition is $17,142
2. Books cost between $300-$500 per semester.
3. Total number of undergraduate students is only 1,106
Santa Clara Universtiy
1. 53% of students live on campus.
2. It's far away from home so you can experience the college life.
3. Degrees offered: Bachelor's, Master's, First professional, Doctorate, Other advanced degrees.
1. The tuition is $43,812.
2. Books cost $1,746.
3. It's a private school so it is more expensive and can be harder to get into.
“Argosy Universtiy.” Yelp. Yelp, n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <http://www.yelp.com/biz/argosy-university-chicago-4>.
Green Bay Phonix. Wisconsin Radio Network. Wisconsin Radio Network, 7 Dec. 2015. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <http://www.wrn.com/2015/12/uwgb-falls-on-buzzer-beating-three/>.
“The Jesuit Universtiy in Silcon Valley.” Wikipedia. Wikipedia, 9 Jan. 2016. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Clara_University>.
Raths, Alexander. Psychologist and patient. Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders. Advameg, Inc., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <http://www.minddisorders.com/Ob-Ps/Psychologist.html>.