February 9, 2023
Important Upcoming Events
- Monday, February 13th - American Heart Association Kickoff
- Wednesday, February 15th - Kona Ice
- Monday, February 20th - No School - Presidents' Day
- Thursday, February 23rd - Schoolwide Lockdown Drill
- Tuesday, March 7th - E Learning Day
- Friday, March 10th - Friday, March 17th - Book Fair
- Monday, March 27th - Friday, March 31st - No School - Spring Break
- Friday, April 7th - No School - Good Friday
For other information dates, please visit our website at https://taft.cps.k12.in.us/parents-students/calendar-menus
Teacher, Employee, and Admin of the Year Nominations
Crown Point Community School Corporation is accepting nominations for the Teacher of the Year, Administrator of the Year, and Employee of the Year who will serve during the 2023-2024 school year. Nominations are open through March 1st. Students, former students, parents, colleagues, administrators, or members of the general public may nominate a CPCSC teacher, administrator, and/or classified employee.
Lockdown Drill - Thursday, February 23rd
- Throughout the year, we conduct important safety drills to ensure that our school is one of the safest places for our students. This means preparing staff and students for situations such as evacuations or intruders. Even though it is difficult to think about these situations, there is nothing more important than the safety of our students.
- In 2019, Crown Point School Corporation adopted a safety policy called ALICE. ALICE is a federally endorsed protocol that trains teachers and students to respond to a situation based on what’s happening around them. ALL CPCSC staff are trained in ALICE protocols.
- The threat of an active shooter attack is rare but very real. ALICE seeks to eliminate the “It can’t happen to me” mentality. ALICE training recognizes that individuals should be empowered to make life-saving decisions. Once empowered, individuals must be trained in proactive response options, rather than a passive, mandated, one-size-fits-all response.
- You can find more information about ALICE, including descriptions and video of ALICE training, on their website or at Parent FAQ
American Heart Association
It’s time for our partnership with the American Heart Association! During the American Heart Challenge program your student will get moving with fun activities, learn about keeping their hearts and brains healthy and feel great about helping others. To register, please go to http://www2.heart.org/goto/Taft
Middle of the Year - NWEA Testing
Reports will be sent home with your student on Friday, February 10th
Incoming 9th Grade Information
If you have any questions, reach out to Vince Bauters, firstname.lastname@example.org
Science Olympiad Fundraiser - February 21st
Book Fair Coming to Taft!
- Please watch the section of our monthly board meeting in the link below. It contains valuable information about the data that will inform the redistricting process.
- We continue to move through the steps of the redistricting process. At this time, we anticipate announcing new elementary and middle school boundaries to our staff and families in late February/early March.
- Our redistricting website page has also been updated with the latest FAQs and we encourage you to visit the page to learn more.
21st Century Scholars
Attention 7th and 8th grade families: It’s never too early to start planning for college. The 21st Century Scholars Program allows income eligible Indiana students up to four years of paid tuition at an eligible Indiana college or university after they graduate from high school. In order to be considered, applications must be completed by June 30th of the student’s 8th grade year. For more information, check out Scholars.IN. gov –or- visit the Taft website under “Links and Resources”. You can also view a short video using the following link: https://youtu.be/AqtLkTX_-ww .
If you have any questions, please reach out to the Guidance and Counseling Department.
CPCSC Job Opportunities
Please make sure to check your students account for any outstanding balances. Balances can be viewed and paid through your Parent Access account. Prompt payment is appreciated.
Did you know that you can adjust the notification settings in ParentSquare? Simply log in to your account on your computer's web browser or the ParentSquare app. Click on "My Account" and "Notifications". More instructions are available on the ParentSquare website.
ParentSquare syncs with RDS for parent contact information. Be sure you keep your RDS information current so you never miss a message!
Cell Phones / Earbuds
The federal program that provided free breakfast and lunch for all students has ended. If you need meal assistance OR textbook assistance, you must complete a free/reduced application at www.cps.k12.in.us/food.
The cost for a full lunch this year is $2.65. Various items can also be purchased ala carte. Breakfast costs $1.50. The school menu is highlighted below and is subject to change.
Taft Middle School
Kyle Hanaway, Assistant Principal ext. 12002
Jennifer Grill, Assistant Principal ext. 12004