The Bronco Buzz
~March 27, 2015~
UPCOMING EVENTS AT THE FORKS
- Monday, March 29- Rising 6th Grade Parent Night at FFMS!
- Tuesday, March 30- School wide PLC at 8:00am
- Thursday, April 2- Bronco Store
- Thursday, April 2- 90 Minute PLC
- Thursday, April 2- Rising 7th Grade Spanish Night
- Friday, April 3- Advisement
- Friday, April 3- Bronco Store
- Friday, April 3- Goodman Team Meeting
WINS FOR THE WEEK!
- The 8th Grade Field trip to Brookwood High School to see "A Mid Summer Night's Dream", was a HUGE success! The faculty at BHS was very complimentary of our students excellent manners! Thank you to our 8th grade LA teachers for planning this awesome opportunity for our students.
- The Peer Leaders had a great time at our feeder elementary schools. Thank you to our counselors for arranging this awesome trip and to Jeni Greene and Wanda Edwards for chaperoning!
- Our DDA scores look AMAZING! Thank you, teachers, for taking the time to complete "data digs" in order to improve success and for all of the hard work you do each day to provide rigorous learning for all students!
- Thank you to all who attended the Area Board Meeting last night- FFMS attendees were Peggy Goodman, Rachel Mickle, Keith Oldknow, Jeni Greene, Pam Newberry, Carla Kuny, Onika St. James, Suzanne Elder, Jacob Bennett, Cindy Bloodworth, Monica Brown, Lisa McCreary, Whitney Morris, Scherrie Hardy, Sarah Erickson, Laura Ross, Dennis Turnham, Dr. Kay Harvey, Tracy Hickmon, and Anjali Tripathi.
- The FFMS Cafeteria, led by DJ Jackson, scored a perfect 100% on their Health Inspection. WOO
The Results Are In!
The FFMS Weight Loss Challenge was a success. 16 people participated, all paying $20.00 to join. Almost everyone lost weight, but according to Price Waterhouse Crews, the following people lost at least 4%. Congratulations to Leslie Arsenault, Julie Bosworth, Meagan Eads, Bill George, Tracy Hickmon, Ellen Loving, and Mandy Newton! They split the jackpot and will each receive $45.71. Stop by Cindy's office to pick up your take!
Are you feeling sad you didn't meet your goal...or didn't participate? Fear not!! We will hold one more after Spring Break! Stay tuned for details.
INSTRUCTIONAL HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK!
This week in Mrs. Borton's classroom, students studied statistics. This activity was to predict and collect data on how many drops of water a penny, dime and nickel would hold. Students estimated how many drops of water it would take to overflow on the different coins. After they spent some time estimating, they tested out their guesses and used the data to practice calculating our measures of center,mean, median and mode.! It was an engaging lesson for students. What a fun way to collect data vs. just being given numbers to calculate.
Mr. Bennett's class used the STEAM lab to collaborate evolution Project called Mystery Island! Students used the school's iPads and the Collaboration Tables to work on their projects together. The STEAM lab is a great place to spread out, collaborate, incorporate some incredible technology, and ENGAGE! You can sign up for the STEAM lab just like you sign up for the computer labs- on the Staff Resources page.
This week the STEAM lab was used several times. From Kahoot, to Mystery Island, the STEAM lab stayed booked! Today, Mrs. Hart took her students to the STEAM lab to complete an activity on Newton's Third Law of Motion- they built Balloon Rockets!!!
ENCOURAGING POSITIVE CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT
Did you know that Mrs. Brown has started a Blog? Check out what is happening in our very own FFMS Media Center!