Mission Vista Academy
Welcome to the MVA EL Newsletter-2021-2022
This publication is for HSTs and families of EL students. In it you will find some interesting articles, the ELD standards, and a number of resources available to you as you work to assist this important group of our student population, in their homeschool journey.
It is our goal at Mission Vista Academy to ensure that our ELs acquire English proficiency and fluency, and thereby, reclassify as quickly as possible. It is my hope that you find much of what you need to begin that process, here, but if you don't or you have other questions, please feel free to contact me anytime. Thank you so much for all that you do to support our multilingual kiddos! :)
ELD Standards and Designated ELD Instruction
Did you know that there are EL specific standards, in addition to the content standards?
It is a legal requirement that all EL students receive daily instruction in language development separate from their regular coursework. This is referred to as Designated ELD and should be a minimum of 30 minutes daily, where the focus is specifically on the ELD standards and language needs of the student.
Furthermore, the ELD standards are also used in conjunction with the content standards (referred to as Integrated ELD) to ensure that students are acquiring proficiency, as well as content/academic knowledge. The focus here is on both sets of standards and on linguistics and academic progress simultaneously.
Click below to take a look at the ELD Standards.
Designated ELD Class
Curriculum For EL Students
Other Curriculum Suggestions
1. Rosetta Stone (parent to order on EOS; use planning amounts)--students can pick English and set at their grade level. Rosetta Stone Foundations focuses on teaching the fundamentals to students.
2. Mango Language (parent to order on EOS; use planning amounts) --A fun-infused way to learn a new language. Mango prepares learners for realistic conversations and strengthens everyday communication skills, when they select English
Free Supplemental Online Resources
2. English Interactive--English Interactive tries to offer practice in English skills for every level. Since most of the resources are outside this website, it's best to check the links in each level. Many of the resources offer multiple levels, and all of the links lead to free interactive practice materials. Great for self-studying language learners and for teachers & tutors to use in the classroom, online, or for curriculum assignments.
Materials available for reading in English for every age. Interactive children's books to listen, read, & repeat.
3. English Media Lab--English Media Lab features several ESL exercises online, including an English TV section with videos by Levels - Beginner Videos, Elementary & High Level Videos. English Media Lab also provides interactive practice & reinforcement of grammar, vocabulary & pronunciation skills. The new feature on this site is the interactive games section. English Media Lab provides a wide variety of ESL/EFL interactive grammar, vocabulary, listening and classroom games alongside several puzzles - crossword puzzles, word search activities, cloze exercises & more.
4. USA Learns--USA Learns has four English courses to help you learn beginning and intermediate English. The courses include videos and interactive learning activities to help you practice and improve your English skills in listening comprehension, vocabulary, grammar, spelling, pronunciation, reading, writing, speaking and life skills.
Although the site is intended for adults to learn English online in a free online setting, there is no exclusion or age requirement for the site. Those individuals under the age of 18 (minors) may also register on the site for the purpose of learning English. The use of the site by a minor should be subject to the consent of their parent or guardian, and it is the sole responsibility of the parent or guardian whether to allow a minor’s use of the site.
5. ESL Kids Lab--Provides English learning and teaching materials for young learners, preschool, beginners, elementary and pre-intermediate. Materials are designed to appeal to all learning styles. Kinesthetic, visual and auditory learners used are common in all ESL Kids classrooms. * Video Lessons by course, * Printable Worksheets, * Self-grading exercises, * Flashcards, * Phonics Materials, * Teaching tips
6. Online Resources List--find links to many more resources on this list.
GET INVOLVED! STAY CONNECTED!
ELPAC Chats with the Director of ELD
ELPAC Practice Tests
Starting Smarter Website
The Multilingual Advantage
Ludwig Wittgenstein wrote, “The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.”
The words that we have at our disposal affect what we see—and the more words there are, the better our perception. When we learn to speak a different language, we learn to see a bigger world.