"We're Going Places!" - September 11th-September 14th
Para Leer Esto en Español...
School Mission Statement
"First Street School is dedicated to guiding students to become positively contributing citizens and life-long learners."
Free First St. "BEEP" T-Shirt Order Form - Please Complete One Per Student
Here is our Roadrunner Weekly for the week of September 14th through September 18th. Great news! We have a date to open school - Tuesday, October 6th! On Friday and in a special update Saturday night, Mr. Leaman sent out important family updates that included information regarding the future opening of district schools. Highlights can be read in the "Roadmap to Reopening" section below. In the meantime, the district continues its distribution of mobile wifi hot spots as needed. If you are still having trouble or are still in need of internet support, please contact our school office.
Continue to stay healthy and safe, and remember to feel free to call or email me directly if you have any further questions or need support or help in any way!
Have a great week!.
Download Our First Street School App!
"Roadmap to Reopening" - Family Update #62 Highlights from Mr. Leaman, WPUSD Superintendent
WHEN WILL IN-PERSON INSTRUCTION BEGIN?
Thank you for all your patience through the twists and turns of this year. I know there will probably be many more! I wanted to let you know we have targeted October 6, 2020, as our first day of in-person instruction. We will start our 5-day program, which is unique in Placer County, on that day. Next week we will have an updated description of our distance learning and in-person programs so you can confirm what you would like for your child(ren). I will also establish a new timeline of activities that will appear in the UPDATE. I know you may have many questions, and I would ask you to hold them until we get more information to you next week.
DISTANCE OR IN PERSON – ANOTHER CHOICE NEXT WEEK
We are excited to be offering in-person instruction, but you must be aware that in-person instruction will look VERY DIFFERENT than regular school. We are asking everyone to thoroughly read our description that will be released on Tuesday before making a decision to enroll your student for in-person instruction. We don’t want you to enroll your student for in-person and be disappointed. Students will have limited movement, no cooperative learning, must wear masks, not gather, not use lockers, use distance between them and the teacher, and much more. Many of our classes will offer a view of the teacher live online to assist with students learning from home. We will work more on this next week!
A PEEK AT SCHOOLS WHEN WE RETURN – VERY DIFFERENT - #3
School really is going to be limited to arriving, going to class, sitting at desks and leaving. I know this sounds unlike anything we have offered in the past, but these are the days of COVID. You are also going to be required to do an assessment of your child each day and not send them to school if they have any symptoms. I also need to share we may need to have students or classes on quarantine during the year based on test results.
THE COMPLETE "ROADRMAP TO REOPENING" DOCUMENT
This "Roadmap to Reopening" document represents the foundation to start our school year. Click here to see the complete document in English and Spanish. As we have learned from the last few months, change is inevitable, and we will continue to hone the guidelines as our school year continues. In planning for this year, we were guided by the following principles:
- Student and staff safety
- Educational program quality
- Students and staff returning to a physical school site for in person learning
- Parent choice in programs
- Staff engagement, training and support
- Offering a quality distance learning program
- Collaborating with surrounding districts, Placer County Office of Education, Placer County Health Department
This road map is just a map. There will be many decisions and changes along the way. But the roadmap also gives us a way forward to continue our essential duty of educating and supporting students.
Scott Leaman, Superintendent
Sami's Circuit Virtual Family Night! - Wednesday, September 16th @ 6:00
A message from Sami...
FAMILY NIGHT INFORMATION
Thank you all so much for participating in my new program! Sami's Circuit On Demand includes monthly livestreamed virtual family nights! You can find all of the information, including dates, at: www.samiscircuit.com/familynightcalendar
All Family Nights are held from 6pm to 7pm PST. The very first one is being held Wednesday, September 16! To attend virtually, go to www.samiscircuit.com/familynightcalendar. The link button on that page will be activated shortly before the event, which will connect you to the YouTube livestream.
Stay until the end of each event - a secret password will be given out, and families can enter to win Sami's Circuit Raffle Prizes. The entry form is located at the URL above.
Can't wait to see you soon!
Our First St. School Library is Still Open for Business!
* Click on the link here for directions on how to check out and reserve a library book for pick-up!
The C.A.R.E. After School Program will be following the same guidelines as the school district. Program will operate on campus when in-person instruction begins.
The C.A.R.E. After School Program provides a no-fee, district-sponsored After School Program for students attending First Street School.
The Programs are aligned with the goals and needs of the sites’ regular day program and consist of at least one hour of Academics (homework assistance, etc.), one hour of Enrichment, and one hour of organized Recreation. Some examples of Enrichment and Recreation in the after school programs include: STEM, dance, cooking/nutrition, soccer, basketball, gardening, and many more.
Per the California Department of Education, After School and Safety grant guidelines, first priority enrollment is given to pupils who are identified by the program as homeless youth or as being in foster care (EC sections 8483[c][A] and 8483.1[d]A]). Enrollment will then be given to students who are recommended by the district and school staff who would benefit from inclusion in the Expanded Learning Program (After School Program). After priority enrollment, other students are taken based on a lottery system. Applications will be available online at http://www.wpusd.org/Schools/Support-Services/index.html
- Please fill out an application for the designated school in which your student will be attending. (See Below)
- One application per student
- Enrollment will close August 12th. If needed, the lottery will be held August 13th.
- All parents/guardians will know the status of their application by August 14th
- All students enrolled in the C.A.R.E After School Programs receive a nutritious snack provided by the district’s Food & Nutrition Services Department.
- C.A.R.E. and Panther Pride (located at GEMS) are open on all school days and Early Release Days from the time school is dismissed to 6:00 PM. The program is closed on holidays, zero days, and student recess days.
If you are unable to fill-out the application please send an to email firstname.lastname@example.org
First Street School C.A.R.E. After School Program
· Grades: K-5th
· Hours of Operation: School Dismissal Time to 6:00PM(including Early Release Days)
· Cost: Free
· Phone Number: (916) 434-5038
* If your childcare need extends beyond what is provide by C.A.R.E., you can look into the STAR Daycare Program:
- Available childcare at any school site offering STAR
- Visit STAR Sacramento to view available locations in Lincoln
- Financial aid available
- Available during closure period
Student Accident Insurance (Digital Version)
If you are interested in signing up for "Student Accident Insurance" please click on the application link here.
WPUSD Medication and Immunization - Annual Update
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Please review the following information regarding medications and health care plans on campus.
Medication Orders and Health Care Plans:
- If your student will require medication on campus (including non-prescription medications, inhalers, epinephrine auto-injectors...), please visit our website to find the required forms (Student Health Concerns and Medications).
- Please have your student's health care provider complete and sign the appropriate forms before returning to on-campus instruction.
- Medication will NOT be allowed on campus without the appropriate paperwork.
- If your student has a complex/personalized care plan, you will be contacted individually in early August to update their plan. Please do not hesitate to contact your school nurses if you have any questions.
- Incoming Kindergarten and 7th Grade students will need to be up to date on required immunizations before returning to on-campus instruction. Information about required immunizations can be found on the Shots for School website.
- See attached flyers for Placer County's Back to School Immunization Clinics.
- If your family is unable to access medical care or immunizations, please contact your school nurse (see contact info below) for assistance and information.
Kelley Gordon, School Nurse at FSS, COES, SES, GEMS, LHS, and PHS
Madi Schumann, School Nurse at FRE, LCE, SLE, CCC, TBE, and TBM
Meals for Students - Wednesday, September 9th
From the District Office & Food Service Dept.:
GOOD NEWS! FREE MEAL DISTRIBUTION NEW INFORMATION
The USDA has allowed us to provide FREE meals to all WPUSD students 18 years or younger regardless of their eligibility status through December 2020. Meal distributions will be every Wednesday! You can check out this week’s Meal Bag menu and instructions HERE
Distribution sites will be:
- Glen Edwards Middle
- Creekside Oaks Elementary
- Sheridan Elementary
- Carlin C. Coppin Elementary
- Twelve Bridges Middle
All meal distributions will be held from 12:30 PM-1:30 PM, or until supplies last.
Glen Edwards Middle School will offer an additional AM pick-up from 6:30 AM - 8:00 AM and a PM pick-up from 4:30 PM-5:30 PM or until supplies last.
Parents/Students can pick-up a Meal Bag at any of the above sites that is most convenient to them. Meal bags are FREE to all students through December 2020.
Meal Distribution Procedures:
Students are NOT required to be present at time of meal pick-up.
NO form or payment will be necessary through December 2020.
Parents/Students will receive ONE Meal Bag per student on Distribution day.
If you have any questions call Food Service Office at 916-645 -6373
Questions regarding meal applications please email Liz at email@example.com
For any other Food Service questions or concerns please email Christina at firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents are encouraged to submit a meal application as the student's previous years eligibility will end on September 30th. You can apply on-line or print out a paper application HERE.
For any other questions or concerns please email Christina at email@example.com
Celebrating Our Birthdays!
Monday, September 14 ~ Parker Rosinsky
Tuesday, September 15 ~
Wednesday, September 16 ~ Alexia Monk, Lucia Castro Frias and Silvano Ortiz Angel
Thursday, September 17 ~ Graham McFarland
Friday, September 18 ~ Jaiden Gaitan, Vaughn Martinez, and Giovanni Villa Maldonado
Saturday, September 19 ~ Danny Uihamoha'ano and David Uihamoha'ano
Sunday, September 20 ~ Christain Flores Cardenas
Monday, September 21 ~ Diego Enriquez Garcia
Tuesday, September 22 ~ Layla Miranda, Adrian Quezada Lopez, and Jarvis Williams
Wednesday, September 23 ~ Kaylee Bernstein
Thursday, September 24 ~ Maverick Bachmann, Maria Blancas, Sterling Defilippo
Friday, September 25 ~ Natalia Abad Chavarria
Saturday, September 26 ~ Nicole Alvarado and Jesus Rosales
Sunday, September 27 ~ Noah Morgan
"Week at a Glance"
Tuesday, September 15th
- Virtual District School Board Mtg. - 6:00 PM. See agenda here for call in information.
Wednesday, September 16th
- Food Distribution - All meal distributions will be held from 12:30-1:30 pm, or until supplies last. Parents/Students can pick-up a meal bag at any of the above sites that is most convenient to them. Glen Edwards Middle School will offer an additional AM pick-up from 6:30 am - 8:00 am and a PM pick-up from 4:30-5:30 pm. See above for more details.
- Sami's Circuit Virtual Family Night @ 6:00! - To attend virtually, go to www.samiscircuit.com/familynightcalendar. The link button on that page will be activated shortly before the event, which will connect you to the YouTube livestream.
Save the Date
Friday, October 2nd through Monday, October 5th - Non-ADA Days - No School
Tuesday, October 6th - School Opens for Live Instruction! - More details to come...
C.H.A.M.P.S. (formerly known as PTC) stands for "Committed to Honoring and Motivating Parents and Students". Parents play a vital role in helping to fundraise, plan school functions, and guide the direction of our school. See the flyers attached below for more information, and please contact Lisa Chandra at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Our school district has invested in a great new way to communicate with our families. Peachjar is a program that sends flyers out to families and also saves and organizes them on our school websites for future viewing. Click here to go to our First Street School Peachjar page.