JM Staff Bulletin
Week of January 11 , 2016
Dear Fantabulous Teachers and Staff,
I've arranged this week's message by topics to make it simpler to digest. Please do read the entire bulletin. Thanks!
School-Wide Student Goals
Ms. LaRenda was kind enough to cut out stars for your students' goals. We only cut one star per student. If you would like us to cut another set, please let me know. I was thinking we could put the students' academic goals up in the hallway near your rooms. Perhaps along the bottom portion of your bulletin board's frame? Let us know if you need help with this.
TLC Day in February!
The Dad's Club is setting up another TLC Day on February 27th to make improvements and repairs around the school. Click here to add to the list of things to be done. This would be a good opportunity to have blinds cleaned, bulletin boards put up, books leveled, shelves repaired, hooks installed, etc.
New Teacher Staffing Process as of December 2015
As part of the new contract, there are multiple changes to the hiring process schools will use to fill vacancies. As of right now, we have no vacancies. However, we still have to establish a Personnel Committee. I shared a document with you that outlines the new process. Please email me if you are interested in being on this committee. I have to submit names by January 15th.
Before and After School Tutoring
Some of you stated that you wanted to begin doing either after or before school tutoring in the new year. Please send me an email with your preferred days, times, and subject areas and we will get the ball rolling as soon as possible.
PLCs and Math Trainings
Thank you so much for your flexibility and understanding with regard to the PLC schedule and the mandated math trainings. The PLC schedule for this week is now as follows:
If you haven't yet signed up on On-Track for your grade level's math training, please do so asap. If you need help, let me know. See the next section of this bulletin for more information.
I need to reschedule our Pride Assemblies for next Friday (January 22nd) as I will only be on-site for a half day on Friday.
PTA General Meeting
Our second PTA general meeting is scheduled for January 21st. The PTA Board and I discussed having a technology showcase of sorts to show what the students have been doing in the computer lab. We were thinking we could get some students and teachers to share that night. Please let me know if you are interested. We do need to have at least 2 teachers present at the meeting. There are far fewer meetings this year, so please come to at least one.
With gratitude and love,
Professional Collaborative Learning Days (mandatory math PD days)
All teachers are required to attend a full day of math training. All information can be found in the Google doc entitled "Elementary Math Ongoing Professional Development" that I shared with you. Please read this document in its entirety. Subs will be arranged by the math department. If you would like a particular sub, follow the directions in the document. The dates for Network 1 are as follows:
TK/K: 1/12/16 (PD6417)
1st: 1/19/16 (PD6416)
2nd: 1/21/16* (PD6418)
3rd: 2/2/16 (PD6419)
4th: 1/14/16 (PD6420)
5th: 1/28/16 (PD6421)
I already noticed the following date conflicts:
- The kindergarten teachers will have a conflict with their PLC day on January 12th. Would it be possible for either the fourth or fifth grade teachers to switch with them that week?
- The 3rd grade teachers are scheduled to attend on the same day as the Oratorical Fest. They can choose to attend on one of the other network's days: March 1st or March 15th. (Note: the grade level team should all attend on the same date.)
- The 5th grade teachers are scheduled to attend on the same day as the Spelling Bee. They can choose to attend on one of the other network's days: March 3rd or March 24th. (Note: the grade level team should attend on the same date.)
Please talk to your grade level team members if you need assistance with signing up for your training on On-Track and let me know if you have any further questions.
Monday: ILT at 3:00; SST (Williams) at 8:00
Tuesday: K teachers at Math PD; 1st/2nd PLC; COST meeting at 8:00
Wednesday: ELAC Meeting in Rm 9 (1:15 - 2:00); SEL PD
Thursday: 4th grade teachers off-site; K/4th PLC; Sara off-site at principal PD (8:30 - 1:00)
Friday: 3rd/5th PLC
Weekly Deliverables (To-Dos)
- Get kids on Lexia.
- Use Newsela!
- Do F&P assessments during reader's workshop.
- Go to our Staff Google Calendar to see what's happening.
- Fill out Gotcha slips for your kiddos who are exemplifying the Wolverine Way.
- Check Konstella and your OUSD email at least twice weekly.
- Send a message to your parents via Konstella or email about what's happening in your class! (Remember: the more they know, the less they make up.)
- Submit COST referrals as needed.
Upcoming Dates- Not including this week
January 18th: MLK Jr. Day
January 19th: 1st Math PD, 4th graders to Coloma until the 21st
January 21st: PTA general meeting (6:00 - 7:30); 2nd Math PD, Sara off-site at principal PD
January 27th: PLC/Grade Level Planning Time
January 28th: Family Loteria Night!! (Mexican food and Bingo!); Spelling Bee!
January 29th: Professional Development Day