Grade 4 News
Newsletter #1: How We Organize Ourselves
UOI #1: How We Organize Ourselves
Central idea: Decisions about money affect our everyday lives.
Key concepts: causation, form, reflection
Related concepts: cooperation, governments, economy, goods and services, trade, barter, scarcity, entrepreneurship, marketplace, business
Lines of inquiry:
- Why we use money (history, creation, purpose)
- Goods vs. Services
- Money in our daily lives
UOI Field Trip
What Are We Learning This Unit?
- I can recognize that in a multi-digit whole number, a digit in one place represents ten times what it represents in the place to its right.
- I can read and write multi-digit whole numbers using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form.
- I can compare two multi-digit numbers based on meanings of the digits in each place, using >, =, and < symbols to record the results of comparisons.
- I can use place value understanding to round multi-digit whole numbers to any place.
- I can fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
English Language Arts
- I can use correct capitalization.
- I can use commas and quotation marks to mark direct speech and quotations from a text.
- I can use a comma before a coordinating conjunction in a compound sentence.
- The Form (الشكل) of Wudu(وضوء) and the verbal. How to make Wudu and conserve the water.
- Performing the Prayer (الصلاة) with concentration (الخشوع).
- Identifying the Wajib and Sunnah in Salah.
- The causation (السبب) of Sujud Assahw (سجود السهو) and how we do it.
- Zakah and charity as a biggest economic system in Islam, the benefits, and effects through what is the Qur’an said about it, and why it is caring (مهتمين). (إنما الصدقات للفقراء والمساكين والعاملين عليها والمؤلفة قلوبهم وفي الرقاب والغارمين وفي سبيل الله وابن السبيل فريضة من الله).
- Count ordinal numbers from 1st to 20th (من الأول وحتى العشرون).
- Practice conversation on how we ask & answer the question about money (بكم هذا؟ هذا بعشرة دراهم) غرامة – مكافأة-.
- Describe the daily routine through the conversation by using the Arabic words (متى؟ – أين؟ - كيف- أستيقظ – أدرس – أنام - أصلي).
- Using the present tense (الفعل المضارع) to describe how we organize the day.
- فريق الكواكب: Memorize Surat Al-Mulk.
- فريق النجوم: Memorize Surat An-Naba.
- (فريق الليل): Working on Al-Qaidah.
- Read the first 10 pages from Surat Al-Baqarah (half Juzaa).
- Discover the heavy and light letters (الحروف المفخمة والمرققة) through the reading.
- Analysis what the Qur’an said about the trade through covering the verses (وأحل الله البيع وحرم الربا سورة البقرة 261-280 - وذروا البيع سورة الجمعة).
Students will learn the techniques of watercolor paint and use it to create artworks that convey simplicity and express ideas and feelings. These artworks can eventually be sold in the Market Day.
Students will also practice Arabic calligraphy and combine it with other techniques such as geometric or floral designs.
Students will continue to experiment with the elements: Line, Space, Shape, Color and Value and the principles of Emphasis, Unity, Movement, and Contrast.
Targeted MSDE Standards
3.0 Creative Expression and Production: Students will demonstrate the ability to organize knowledge and ideas for expression in the production of art.
1. Create images and forms from observation, memory, and imagination and feelings
a. processes, and techniques to express thoughts and feelings that have personal meaning Experiment with media
b. Manipulate art media, materials, and tools safely
c. Create artworks that explore the uses of the elements of art and selected principles of design, such as pattern, repetition, contrast, balance, and variety, to express personal meaning
- work on building stamina and endurance through running outdoors.
- learn how to show good sportsmanship while participating in competitive games.
- work on strengthening their team building skills through various games and activities.
- implement this month's Learner Profile Attribute of being "PRINCIPLED", especially when playing competitive games.
- enroll in the "Tarbiyah Fitness Club" as part of their unit on Economics. They will use money they earn from their jobs in class to purchase their gym membership.