CLX Buzz 2/20/20
The Claxton Elementary Family Newsletter
What's the Buzz?
- Coming Soon at Claxton...
- Individual and Class Group Pictures This Tues, Feb 25
- Do You Work in a Skilled Trade, the Medical Field, or the Arts? We Need Your Help for the Career Fair!
- Jubeelee Volunteers Needed! Sign Up to Lend a Hand!
- Buy Your Tickets Now for the Jubeelee Celebration!
- 3rd-5th Grade--LAST DAY TO REGISTER (Fri, 2/21) for Girls on the Run at Claxton
- Read Across America Week - Mar 2-6
- Order Your Yearbook!
- Update Your Annual Student Information Online This Spring
- Attention Families with Rising K Siblings--Magnet School Enrollment
Volunteering at Claxton
- CLX on Social Media
- Quick Links
Coming Soon at Claxton...
Thursday Flyers (Check your Claxton folders!) - School Individual and Group Picture Info (sent home this week on Tuesday)
Classroom Group + Spring Pictures - Tues, Feb 25
PTO Meeting - Tues, Mar 3 (6-7pm) in Media Center
Student Career Day - Wed, Mar 11
Early Release - Fri, Mar 13 @ 12pm
Jubeelee Celebration + Fundraiser (formerly CLX Auction) - Sat, Mar 14
NO SCHOOL - Fri, Mar 20
Spring Break/NO SCHOOL - Mon, Apr 6 - Mon, Apr 13
Return to School - Tues, Apr 14
Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast - Thurs, Apr 23
Individual and Class Group Pictures This Coming Tuesday, Feb 25!
Do You Work in a Skilled Trade, the Medical Field, or the Arts?
You're welcome to bring any information or materials you'd like to share about your career. One table is provided to everyone and, upon request, we can make special arrangements for more tables, floor space, outdoor space, or electricity. There’s not a formal presentation--students just walk through the area and stop at the “booths” that interest them. We ask that volunteers be present for the entire career fair unless you have someone to swap out with for your career.
Jubeelee Volunteers Needed Before, During, and After Event! Sign Up to Lend a Hand!
Buy Your Tickets Now for the Jubeelee Celebration!
Please plan to join us for the Claxton and Asheville Primary School Jubeelee! Come celebrate our schools and enjoy a night with friends, teachers, and staff. You will not want to miss such a fun night! Tickets are $30 in advance (and include food and drinks galore!) and can be purchased HERE.
All Claxton families are welcome! Please don’t let the ticket price prevent you from attending. Also, there is no requirement to participate in the silent or live auction. You are welcome to simply come and enjoy the community, food, drinks, and music! For financial assistance, please contact Mr. Ackerman at firstname.lastname@example.org / 828-350-6503.
Dress is casual, dressy casual, or festive (there may even be a prize for best dressed in theme!).
Also, please follow our Jubeelee event Facebook page for more information.
Money raised from this event supports PTO services such as food and books for students in need, play equipment, money for classroom supplies and books, mini-grants for teachers, staff appreciation meals and gifts, and so much more.
Please come celebrate our amazing school community!
3rd-5th Grade--LAST CHANCE TO REGISTER for Girls on the Run at Claxton
Claxton GOTR sessions will be on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:30-4:00 beginning Mon, March 2 and ending in mid-May, after the Girls on the Run 5K event on Sunday, May 17.
All students are welcome regardless of ability to pay! Girls on the Run has a sliding scale fee structure based on family income & household size with program fees ranging from $20-$165. Simply answer the scholarship questions during registration, and the computer will determine your eligibility and adjust the fee accordingly. Payment plans are available in 2- or 3-payment increments. If you require fee assistance beyond what the sliding scale offers, please contact the GOTR office at: 828-713-3132 or by email: email@example.com.
Read Across America Week -- Show Your Book Love!
Order Your Claxton 2019-2020 Yearbook Now!
Yearbooks are on sale through March 31 and are $20 per copy.
All 5th Graders get a free yearbook (no need to order). All other students can place an order online HERE or return the order form (flyer sent home on Thursday) with payment to Claxton. Make checks payable to Claxton PTO. Extra forms are available in the school office.
5th Grade Families - Buy an ad to celebrate your student in the Yearbook! Ads due March 15th. The ad form came home in student folders and is available here online.
Claxton yearbooks are printed in full color and feature all student portraits and many candid photos. Yearbooks will be distributed near the end of the school year.
Order yours now – supplies are limited!
Contact Jessica Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Update Your Annual Student Information Online This Spring
Attention Parents - How does completing less paperwork the first week of school sound? Well, Asheville City Schools is excited to introduce an online system for families to update student information and sign forms electronically each year. We are calling this process the Annual Student Information Update in PowerSchool. Families will have the opportunity to complete the Annual Student Information Update in PowerSchool for the 2020-2021 school-year this spring. In fact, our window for the 2020-2021 school year opens March 9th and closes April 30th.
What can you do now? Read the Q&A HERE for lots of info! Make sure you can log onto the Parent Portal. If you don’t have a parent portal set up, watch for paper copies of your login information coming home in your children’s folders.
Attention Families with Rising K Siblings--Magnet School Enrollment
Planning to Chaperone Field Trips or Help by Serving as an EOG Proctor? Please Plan Ahead and Be Sure You've Attended Level II Training!
1) Whether you're a new or returning Claxton volunteer, an online background check is needed each year to volunteer in any capacity with students at school or as a supervising chaperone on field trips. It takes about 5 minutes to start your background check but can sometimes take 2-3 weeks for checks to be approved. You cannot volunteer until your background check has been approved, so jump over to this link to get yours started. https://bib.com/SecureVolunteer/Asheville-City-Schools/
2) Also, all volunteers need to attend a brief (~30min) Level II volunteer training with Asheville City Schools before you can volunteer at Claxton. The training is a one-time requirement (not needed each year) and this year's schedule is set so you can go ahead and check the calendar. Please see below for the next training sessions or check this year's full calendar HERE. Trainings take place in the Boardroom at Asheville City Schools' Central Office at 85 Mountain Street unless otherwise noted. No registration is required to attend the training.
Wednesday, February 12, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, February 12, 2020, at 6:00 PM
Wednesday, March 11, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Thursday, April 23, 2020, at 12:00 PM (NEW DATE--replaces previously scheduled training for 4/22/20)
Wednesday, May 6, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or are interested in exploring volunteer opportunities at Claxton!