Zilker Library: Summer Edition 2016
Happy Summer Reading!
In this edition, you will information about local and national summer reading programs, a free-for-the-summer interactive reading program called MyOn, as well as AISD's summer reading list suggested by Superintendent Paul Cruz. "Bookmark" this edition to come back to all summer!
And Panthers- thanks a million for all the support during my first year at Zilker! I can't wait to see you all back in August! And remember...read EVERY DAY! Follow along on Twitter (@ZilkerLibrary) for my participation in the #bookaday challenge this summer. I'm kicking it off on the first day of summer, Friday, June 3rd! I hope you'll join me, parents and kids alike!
Peace, Love and Books,
Avoid the Summer Slide...Take the 5 Book Dive!
Book Store Summer Reading Programs
- BookPeople: "Give me Summer, Give me Books!" kicks off in early June; kids can pick up bookmarks in store with suggested books to read for their upcoming grade level. See the list here.
- Barnes and Noble: "Summer Reading Triathlon" begins on June 4th. Kids read any 8 books and turn in their reading journal when they're finished to earn a free book. You can find the reading journal here.
- Half Price Books: "Feed Your Brain" program, log your reading for June and July (reading with a parent counts!) and turn it in when you reach 300 minutes to claim your "BookWorm Bucks". Find out more here.
Library Summer Reading Programs
- Austin Public Library: APL's SRP 2016 "Explore Austin" kicks off the first week of June and is packed full of activities, events and READING! Their reading program is simple- read, read and read some more and turn in your reading log to any location in July AND August for a free book to keep.
- Lake Travis Community Library: "On Your Mark, Get Set...Read"; open to anyone and sounds like a blast! Their summer reading program kicks off with a huge party on Saturday, June 4th between 10:30 am and 12 pm. Find more information in their brochure here.
Online Summer Reading Programs
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge: "Be a Reading Superhero", sign up to participate and log your minutes to help set a world record! Program runs from early May to early September.
- HEB: H-E-Buddy Summer Reading Club, read 10 books and record them on the log you can download online. Mail the form in and earn a special t-shirt!
Calling all upcoming 3rd, 4th and 5th Graders!
Zilker will be participating in the 2016-2017 Texas Bluebonnet Award nominee program again this year! And this year's list of 20 nominated books is GREAT! (Mrs. Sharp has already read 11 of them!)
Get a head start on reading the 2016-2017 Bluebonnet books by finding the list HERE.
Mark them down on your own reading log here and turn it in to Mrs. Sharp in August for credit. Remember, if you read at least 5 by mid-January 2017, you'll be invited to the Bluebonnet Lunch and can vote for the Texas Bluebonnet Award winner!
Free Interactive Books for the Summer!
Please feel free to email Mrs. Sharp (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information and help during the summer!