MacArthur 4K News
January 11th, 2016
This Week in 4K:
- Introduction to the iPads at library time on Monday. Please ask your child what story they listened to.
- Lending Library Checkout - Monday
- We will continue to read Snowman books this week. One of the books we will look at is, The Snowman, by Raymond Briggs. It is a book without words and is a beautifully illustrated story of a boy who makes a snowman and the snowman later comes to life. The boy and snowman have many adventures together. Ask your child what some of the things are that the boy and snowman do in the house and also outside. Here is a link to the video, which is also wordless. The Snowman video - https://youtu.be/HHCZhUZXhZU
- We will continue to review our shape chart and do different activities to help all the students learn the names of the shapes and be able to describe 1 or 2 concepts about them. The shapes we have learned are all 2D or 2 dimensional shapes (circle, square, rectangle, triangle and hexagon) and we learned that 2D shapes are flat. We will learn a few 3D shapes and describe them before the end of the school year.
- We will be doing journal writing on Thursday and will continue to work on drawing a picture with details and adding some labels to our pictures (beginning sounds of words or beginning and ending sounds). Please encourage drawing and writing at home.
- Thursday, January 14th - I will be out all day. Mrs. Lindstrom will be teaching. She is a retired kindergarten teacher and is an amazing substitute.
- Monday, January 18th - No School 4K-5th grade.
- The Winter Carnival at MacArthur is on Thursday, February 18th from 5-7. Each class is making a basket for the carnival. The 4K theme is Sports. We are collecting sports-themed items for our basket. Please see the note in Monday's folder for more information. Thank you to those who have already donated items!
Books We Are Reading This Week:
Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathon London
The Snowman by Raymond Briggs
The Mitten by Jan Brett
Our Big Book this week is called, The Birthday Cake. It is a simple, repetitive book we will use to practice reading from left to right, pointing under each word as we read, finding spaces, and finding letters and words we know.