Technology in Mrs. Myers' Class!
A letter to parents about ways we will be using technology.
This nine weeks:
For the upcoming nine week period, our class will be using three main types of online tools in our classroom that will help students explore information that is being taught to them on a deeper level. These three tools for this semester are Kahoot!, Prezi, and Quizlet. This newsletter will explain each of these three a little more in depth to give you the parent a better understanding of each. Next semester, we will focus on a new set of three tools. This nine weeks one of the topics that we will be focusing are the many components of Black History Month.
- This tool allows for teachers to create in class quizzes to give to students in a new interactive way. The quizzes are set up and played as if it were a game, while the teacher can either choose to have to students work individually or in small groups.
- This tool can be used for students in classrooms of all ages, including our 8th grade class.
- This tool is compatible with many different devices and promotes a fun learning environment.
- For our class, Kahoot! will be used at the end of the unit on Black History Month and will be used to help wrap up everything that we have learned about and the people that we have learned about. Students will demonstrate their knowledge of what they have learned by answering questions on the quiz that I will make for the class.
- Prezi allows for students or teachers to make fun and interactive presentations on any topic.
- These work as a more flexible and entertaining type of power-point that allows students to display their information on a topic in a new way.
- In our class, each student will complete a presentation using Prezi on a significant figure or person that relates to the information that we are focusing on this nine weeks. Examples might include MLK or Harriet Tubman.
- Quizlet allows users to create study tools, such as quizzes, flashcards, and games-which can be accessed on computers or mobile devices. It also allows teachers to create study resources and share them with an entire class.
- This tool is useful for teachers and students of all ages.
- For our class specifically, I will make online flashcards using this website for the students to use to study for our end of the unit test on Black History Month.
If there are any questions or concerns about these tools that we will be using in our classroom, feel free to contact me and I will be happy to help in any way I can or answer any questions that I can.