The Gayman Gazette
What's Happening in and Around Gayman Elementary School?
June 7, 2013
Upcoming Important Dates
- Tuesday, June 11th – AM Kindergarten Celebration @ 10:00 AM; PM Kindergarten Celebration @ 2:00 PM
- Wednesday, June 12th – Adopt-A-Road for Student Council Members
- Wednesday, June 12th – Barbeque Lunch
- Thursday, June 13th – 1st Grade Rumpus Play
- Thursday, June 13th – Principal’s Award Ceremony
- Thursday, June 13th - End of Year Home & School Picnic
- Friday, June 14th –Rescheduled Field Day
- Monday, June 17th – End-of-Year Awards Assembly – STUDENTS ONLY
- Tuesday, June 18th – Safety Party
- Tuesday, June 18th – 6th Grade Promotion at Tohickon
- Wednesday, June 19th – Early Dismissal at 11:55 AM; No AM Kindergarten – Last Day of School
2013-2014 Health & Wellness Initiative
Gayman Elementary will be instituting a Health & Wellness Initiative next school year. In an effort to acquire parent feedback which will be instrumental in guiding the focus of this initiative, the school's Health & Wellness Team invites all parents to complete a brief, four question survey.
Please click on the link below to complete the survey.
Recess Before Lunch Next Week
As part of next year’s Health & Wellness Initiative, we are strongly considering scheduling recess before lunch as opposed to recess after lunch.
In an effort to "trial" this procedure, beginning Monday, June 10th, we will be shifting from “lunch/recess” to “recess/lunch.” This will remain in place for the entire week, ending on Friday, June 14th. Mr. Testani has been considering making this shift for quite some time as there is much research to support it:
Children's behavior improves during afternoon instruction
Children’s ability to focus during afternoon instruction improves
Children’s diet improves and amount of plate waste is reduced (which suggests children are eating more of their lunch)
- Frequency of visits to the nurse reduces during the afternoon
While hand sanitizing and hand washing opportunities will be made available to the children, parents are encouraged to send a small bottle of hand sanitizer to school with their children (particularly if they are packing a lunch).
The schedule will be as follows:
Gayman 5K A Success
Gayman's 5K race took place last Saturday, June 1st. It was a bit on the warm side, but everyone got through with great success. The event was well attended. Thank you to everyone who participated for making the race a fun, memorable event!
For a complete list of race times click here.
On Monday, June 3rd, Mr. Grace's 4th grade class enjoyed a fine dining experience at the Gayman Gala. Mr. Testani served all of the boys and girls a delicious meal in recognition of their efforts in the cafeteria for the month of May. Congratulations to Mrs. Weller's 1st grade students for earning second place.
PEN Students Head to Court
Fifth and sixth grade PEN students participated in a Mock Trial at the Bucks County Courthouse on Wednesday, June 5th. The students put Jordyn Young on trial for the crime of texting while driving. In the end, the prosecution won, and all were reminded about the importance of driving safely!
Friday, June 7th, Morning Newscast PART I
PART ONE of this morning's newscast is available for viewing below. The password required to view the taped newscast is Mustang.
Friday, June 7th, Morning Newscast PART II
PART TWO of this morning's newscast is available for viewing below. The password required to view the taped newscast is Mustang.