January 2020 Newsletter
President Dr. Caroline Peltz's Message
Hello Eta Rho Members!
It is hard to believe that the holidays have come and gone! Thank you to all for assisting with our parking fundraiser at Lucky’s market for all home University of Michigan football games!!! The funds raised sponsored our two Eta Rho delegates, Kelley Kamin, BSN, RN and Chelsea Noble, MSN, RN to 45th Biennial Convention held in Washington, DC last month. It takes a village to keep our chapter going!
Eta Rho is one of the sponsors for the upcoming 2020 Leadership Conference: Taking the Lead – Shaping a Culture of Positivity 1/16/2020 Inn at St. John’s Plymouth, MI https://leadersandbestevents.cvent.com/LDR20
Be sure to take advantage of all that your membership has to offer! As a SIGMA Nurse visit the CIRCLE for free CE credits, access to library of peer reviewed research, job postings and the opportunity to find or become a mentor!!!
Making the most of your membership begins with you! Thank you to all of you who have contacted me to become involved with Eta Rho! Looking forward to a prosperous New Year! If you are interested in becoming involved with our chapter in any capacity, please contact email@example.com.
Have a wonderful holiday season! Wishing all the best in 2020!
Sigma Biennial 2019
Delegates Kelley Kamin and Chelsea Noble
A message regarding being delegates at the Sigma 2019 Biennial Convention
Photo Gallery of Convention 2019
Dr. Valerie Pauli, Keynote Speaker, Dr. Greg Shanon, and Chelsea Noble
Dr. Shannon, Sigma President, Dr. Karen Morrin, Dr. Pauli and Kelley Kamin
Dr. Fox, Dr. Peltz, Dr. Pauli, Dr. Shannon, Chelsea Noble, and Kelly Kamin
Thank you to all those who participated in the Fundraising events at the UM Parking 2019
Featured Member of the Month
EMU BSN Graduate Brianna Young
Brianna Young, BSN
Brianna was nominated by the Eta Rho Board as the Member of the Month. When asked the following questions, Brianna responded:
1. What does Sigma Eta Rho Membership means to you?Being apart of Sigma means to me is going above and beyond the typical standards of a nursing student. Sigma provides opportunities to be a well rounded individual through leadership, volunteer opportunities and research. Through Sigma I was able to identify the importance of being more than just a nursing student but to see my self as a well rounded nurse for my patients. I was able to develop a love for leadership and research which will transpire into my nursing practice as a ER nurse. I truly appreciate Sigma and their support through my nursing journey.
2. What opportunities have you had being a member of Sigma Eta Rho?A. Scholarships to help pay for nursing school.
B. Presented my research at conferences.
C. Volunteer opportunities with Lucky's Market and DKMS blood drive.
D. Access to the Journal of Nursing Scholarship and World Views of Evidence- Based Nursing.
3. Do you have any future desire to run for a board position?
I hope to run as a leadership succession committee member in the near future.
4. What are your future plans as a RN?I will be working at the University of Michigan as a Level One Trauma/ ER nurse. I plan to start the BSN to DNP program at the University of Michigan School of Nursing as an Adult- Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner. I hope to come back to Eastern Michigan University to teach to nursing students.
5. Would you like to share your accomplishments with the Eta Rho members?Thank you to EMU SON for the opportunity to travel to the Dominican Republic for a medical mission trip. Also, I was able to travel to Taiwan for study abroad. With a 4 year old daughter I achieved a 3.9 all through out nursing school. I was blessed to present my research on the “Under-representation of African Americans in Nursing” in 3 different states.
EMU Faculty Publish Research Article and Present at Sigma Biennial Conference
Dr. Fox and Dr. Meriam Caboral-Stevens
The Use of Collaborative Testing with Baccalaureate Nursing Students Meriam Caboral-Stevens, PhD, RN, NP-C * , Diane Porretta Fox, EdD, RN, MSN, LRT, CNE
Published in: Teaching and Learning in Nursing @ https://doi.org/10.1016/j.teln.2019.09.007
Upcoming Events for 2020
Eta Rho is one of the sponsors for the upcoming 2020 Leadership Conference: Taking the Lead – Shaping a Culture of Positivity 1/16/2020 Inn at St. John’s Plymouth, MI