Van Buren Elementary
News & Updates - August 29, 2022
From the Principal's Office - August 17, 2023
WELCOME BACK! The beginning of a new school year is always an exciting time, and we are back to business as usual. We are especially thrilled to welcome our new students, staff and families to the Van Buren community. We hope everyone can join us for our Annual Sno-Cone Social on August 30th at 6:00 pm. This is a great time to reconnect with friends and drop off school supplies to your child's classroom. Although teachers may not be at this event, you will have an opportunity to meet them in person at our Curriculum Night on September 19th from 6:00-7:30 pm.
Over the summer we have refreshed the building and grounds to be ready when school re-opens on Wednesday, September 6th.
If you have moved and your child will not be returning to Van Buren, please complete this form. If you have moved within the school district, please contact our main office (315-638-6121) to update your address.
On August 7th, all families received an email to sign up for Parent Square (using your School Tool Parent Portal email address) which is the new communication platform that we will use to communicate important information to you. Please sign up for 8/30 so that you don't miss important information from your child's teacher, our school nurse and the main office!
Other important information about the school year is included below, including drop off and pick up procedures. Please contact us if you any questions.
We will see you soon!
ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
Please complete this form if you plan to drive your child TO and/or FROM school or if they will attend the YMCA program:
- Student Drop Off
- 8:00-8:15 at the main entrance
- 8:15-8:30 (while buses are on campus) at the sidewalk
- Buses Unload 8:30-8:40
- Learning Begins - 8:45
- After 8:45 students will be marked tardy and must be signed into school by a parent in the main vestibule.
- Parent/Guardian Pick Up: 3:15-3:30 (photo ID is required)
- YMCA program students released at 3:15
- Buses Depart - 3:30
- Walkers dismiss after the buses depart campus
Afternoon Pick-Up Procedure: Park on Ford Street being careful not to block driveways or campus entrances. Parents/adults with authorization to pick up will be admitted at the front entrance of the school at 3:15 to sign your child out from the cafeteria. Students will only be dismissed to an adult with valid ID who has been approved by a custodial parent for pick up.
📲 From our Attendance Office
If your child will be tardy, absent, picked up early for an outside appointment, or if there is a change to end of day dismissal we have a form for that!
This online form will ensure that the information reaches the attendance office and doesn't get lost between home and school. Of course we always welcome paper notes if you prefer.
The main office is your first point of contact for anything related to attendance and dismissal. We can be reached at (315) 638-6121.
📅 Important Dates & Upcoming Events
- Teacher assignments available in School Tool Parent Portal
- Pre-K Orientation with Miss Nicolini 9:00-10:00 am
- Kindergarten Orientation 2:00-3:00 pm
- New Student Orientation 5:00-6:00 pm
- Sno-Cone Social 6:00 pm (at VanBuren playground)
- 1st day of school 🚸
- PTA Meeting 6:30pm (Van Buren school library)
- Curriculum Night 6:00-7:30 pm
💉 From the Health Office
If your child will need medication(s) at school, provider and parent permission forms are needed for both prescription and over the counter medications. New medication permission forms are required each school year.
New York State Law requires that:
- Parents or guardians must personally deliver all medication to the school health office. All controlled medications must be counted with the school nurse and quantity delivered must be signed off by both the adult and school nurse.
- All medication must remain properly labeled in the pharmacy container or in the original over the counter (OTC) containers.
- A new prescription/medication form signed by the medical provider is required at the beginning of every school year.
- The parent must sign the medication permission form.
Additionally, please find action plans attached below:
- Asthma Action Plan
- Allergy Emergency Care Plan
- Seizure Care Plan
- Diabetes Care Plan
The nurse will be available for medication drop off during school hours and additionally on 8/29 from 9:00-1:00 and 8/30 from 1:00-3:00pm. Please contact Mrs. Tortorelli at 315-638-6123 or Stortorelli@bville.org to discuss further options if these dates/times do not work for you.
👩🏫 Meet Our New Staff
We have several new staff members this year to support students and learning. Please join me in welcoming:
- Miss Alyssa Burmeister - 5th Grade Teacher
- Miss Jennifer Dahm - Special Education Teacher
- Mr. Nolan Exford - Teaching Assistant
- Mrs. Melissa Florian - Teaching Assistant
- Ms. Gabriella Giacovelli - Speech Teacher
- Dr. Bridget McGlynn - School Psychologist
- Ms. Jomarie Murphy - 5th Grade Teacher
- Miss Grace Nicolini - Pre-K Teacher
- Miss Isabella Recchion - Teaching Assistant
- Mrs. Shannon Horning - Teaching Assistant
- Mr. Keegan Thompson - Band Teacher
- Ms. Jacqueline Firenze - Adaptive PE Teacher
🍕🥞 Breakfast & Lunch 🍽️ 🥪
Sadly the USDA did not extend the free school meal program for all students this year. Families may apply for free and reduced price meals using the application attached below. A copy of this will also be mailed home for you to complete and return to school with your child(ren).
- Breakfast price: $2.75
- Lunch price: $3.75
- Milk: $0.85
Snacks and ice cream will be available at an extra charge. Students may add funds to their account by bringing cash or a check to cafeteria. Myschoolbucks.com is the simplest way to add funds to your child's account for meal or snack purchases.
K-5 Lunch Menu - September
Pre-K Lunch Menu - September
The Van Buren PTA is a volunteer organization that supports students and staff through a wide range of fun activities (book fairs, seasonal events, classroom materials, etc.). PTA is a great way to be involved in your child's school and anyone can join!
Here are the correct links to join and learn more about our PTA:
https://vanburen.memberhub.com and also include our Facebook group going forward?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/VanBurenPTAUpdates/?ref=share_group_link&exp=8ce3 I would really appreciate any and all help getting the world out to follow PTA there!
The Fall PTA Newsletter is linked below.
Opt-In for School Messenger Text Messages
If the District has your cell phone number in the Parent Portal (School Tool), it is easy to opt-in. Just text the word YES to 68453 from your cell phone. You should receive an opt-in confirmation message.