May 22, 2022
- Final Exams for periods 1, 2, and 7 at East/North - Mon., 5/23 (Students who attend Compass full-time have a regular attendance day)
- Chess & Board Games Club - Mon., 5/23, 4:15-5:15 pm in Rm 145
- D303 Graduation - Mon., 5/23 at NIU Convocation Center
- Regular Attendance Days at Compass (and last days of school) - Tues., 5/24 and Wed., 5/25
THIS WEEK'S GLIMPSE AROUND CAMPUS
A group of students converged on Mr. Appalaneni during the water balloon fight at the end-of-year picnic. We had fantastic weather and a great turnout for the event celebrating the end of a successful first year at Compass Academy.
Celebrating Our Compass Graduates
We are so proud of our inaugural class of Compass grads! Gabe Perez, one of our graduates, received his Compass yard sign on the last day for seniors.
Tie-Dying During Advisory
Students had fun tie-dying their Compass t-shirts (and, in many cases, dying their hands as well) during our last group advisory activity. We love our Compass community!
Celebrating Our Compass Graduates
D303 COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY FOR GRADUATES
The class of 2022 will be honored at the District 303 Commencement Ceremony on May 23 at 4:00 pm for St. Charles East graduates and at 7:30 pm for St. Charles North graduates. The ceremony will be held inside the Convocation Center at Northern Illinois University. There is ample seating and tickets will NOT be required. We are proud to have Compass Academy graduates participating in each ceremony.
Watch the ceremony live with this link.
COMPLETE YOUR DAILY LUNCH ORDER, OR COMPLETE YOUR ENTIRE ORDER FOR THE WEEK, BY CLICKING THE BOX BELOW AND MAKING YOUR SELECTION BY 9:45 A.M. MONDAY MORNING.
IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE COMPASS NURSE
Parents/Guardians: Please arrange to pick up your child's medication from the health office by the last day of school. Medication left behind after the last day of school will be promptly discarded/destroyed per pharmacy and state health care standards. Thank you for your cooperation. Please contact the Compass Academy nurse, Jennifer Jones, RN, at 331-228-2780 if you have any questions or concerns about this.
SUMMER EXTENDED LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR CREDIT
- The summer English project options that were shared with students and parents in an email on 5/19 are due by August 1st and must be submitted through Schoology. Students who are interested in engaging in a summer English project must register by completing this form. Mrs. Prebble will then communicate with students and parents regarding next steps. There are some fun, creative options so I would encourage students to consider participating in this opportunity.
- Students who will have summer jobs or who are interested in summer volunteer opportunities for credit should talk with Ms. Ohlson this week to get more information and to receive the necessary paperwork to document their hours.
- Remember that one principle of competency-based education is that students may also earn credit for demonstrating learning that occurs outside of the classroom. To that end, if your student is participating in an extended learning opportunity this summer that directly connects to Illinois Learning Standards- practicing for and participating in a community theatre performance, for example- please have them talk with Ms. Ohlson or Mrs. Stanley to discuss how they might demonstrate their learning and earn credit for their work.
JOB SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES IN ST. CHARLES - CONTINUING THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER!
Many Compass Academy students are actively engaged in shadowing in this program, and others have already completed their experience. If your student hasn't taken advantage of this opportunity yet, encourage them to do so. In the city's career pathway job shadow program, Compass students can shadow people in many career fields, including engineering, communications, accounting, firefighting, law enforcement, construction, and vehicle maintenance. THE CITY HAS EXTENDED THIS PROGRAM SO THAT STUDENTS CAN PARTICIPATE DURING THE SUMMER, an opportunity to be exposed to various careers of interest while also earning credit at Compass!
Interested students should complete the Registration Form and return it to Ms. Ohlson at Compass Academy.
D303 SUMMER SCHOOL INFORMATION
- Sessions will be held at St. Charles North High School.
- Session I: June 6- June 23
- Session II: June 27 - July 22
- Monday - Thursday, 8:00 AM-1:00 PM
- *No class the week of July 4th*
- Registration for Session I and Session II is due by June 2nd.
- Online Courses: June 7- July 22
- Registration for Online Courses is due by April 8th.
- Students should see their counselor to register.
- See the Summer School Brochure for more information and registration forms.
- Summer School Brochure-Spanish
- Have any questions? Contact Sharon Stanley, Director of Summer School, at 331-228-3387 or Sharon.Stanley@d303.org