The Psychology of Addiction
- Scientific Name: Methylphenidate
- Street Name: Ritalin or Kibbles & Bits
- Medical Uses: Treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy.
- Illegal Uses: Taking without a prescription
- Ingredients: lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, starch, sucrose, and talc
- Estimated Cost: Single Ritalin pills cost around $20. Most methylphenidate rehab centers offer 30, 60 and 90-day programs which vary upon addiction. The price of staying at these methylphenidate treatment facility costs around $30,000 per month.
- Chemical Impact: Taking Ritalin without a prescription can cause tremors, agitation, a rapid heartbeat, and hypertension. Abusers can also suffer severe psychiatric complications, including psychotic episodes, hallucinations, paranoia, and bizarre behavior.
- Types of Gambling: Poker, slot machines, sports betting, and lottery
- Chemical Impact: When gambling, blood flow to the brain changes in ways similar to that seen in other experiments during an infusion of cocaine in subjects addicted to that drug and to low doses of morphine in drug-free individuals.
By Grace-Erin Cooksey