Wetlands Are Wonderful
Today we will explore the wonderful world of wetlands.
The 4 types of wetlands!
Swamps- These types of wetlands are usually characterized by their large spindly trees.
Marshes- This wetland sub-type has lots of tall grass and is covered by water most of the year.
Fens- This a rather peculiar wetland because you cant see most of the water. The majority of the water is hidden below soil layers.
Pictures of some of the types of wetlands!
Why are Wetlands Useful?
- Wetlands are a home to many species of endangered wildlife. An example of these are birds, amphibians, and rare plants that all call wetlands a home!
- Wetlands can act as a natural water filter.
- Floods can be slowed down, or completely surpassed if they run over a wetland biome. Thank goodness for wetlands if you live in Japan.
- 71% of our countries recreational and commercial fishing income comes from wetland dependent species.
- The wetland biome covers only 5% of the conterminous United States, yet they hold 31% of our wildlife!
- Almost half of our bird species either breed or feed in wetlands!
- Over 1/2 of the worlds wetlands have been destroyed since 1900.