Genetically Modified Organisms
Positives and Potential Benefits
- By genetically modifying foods, scientists can add or remove certain genes that affect health. For example, scientists are working on low calorie vegetables and high in starch and fiber.
- Crops that have been genetically modified do not need as much pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers.
- Scientists are also working to add vitamins and minerals, specifically in crops grown in less developed areas where people are lacking these nutrients.
- Eventually, scientists will discover a way to insert vaccines into foods, making "eatable vaccines", which are much easier to supply than traditional vaccines and are more available to less developed countries that do not have the money or storage for traditional vaccines.
- Many crops are saved from insects and diseases because they are modified to resist anything that is harmful to the plant. This saves the farmer money so they don't have to buy pesticides and they have more produce to sell at the market.
- Because farmers do not have to use as much harsh chemicals for the genetically modified crops to grow and leave dead plants to die instead of plow them over, this helps prevent soil erosion and is healthier for the soil.
- Scientists are working for plants to have antifreeze genes, helping them to live through frosts.
- Modifying genes of plants triples the harvest, and allows farmers to do so without increasing farmland. More crops can be grown and harvested on less land when they have been genetically modified.
- Because the crops are genetically modified to withstand insects and viruses, herbicides and pesticides (which are chemicals that can be extremely harmful to the environment) are not necessary for the plants to survive.
- Plants and animals are always naturally modifying themselves to adapt to their environments; human modification of crops are not unnatural.
- Genetically modified plants have been approved as safe to grow, safe to eat, and safe for the environment.
- Genetically modifying plants is the only way to feed the rapidly growing population.