MoASSP Messenger February 15, 2019
Volume 32 Number 24
IN HONOR OF PRESIDENTS' DAY, HERE ARE 3 QUOTES. WHICH ONE IS FALSE?
Update From the Executive Director
Another Snowy Day Ahead of a 3 Day Weekend
As I glance outside my office here in Columbia, I have to remind myself that we are one day closer to spring, instead of one more day of a long winter. On the eve of a three day weekend, many schools have been in professional development sessions today. Most of you will not be in school on Monday in observance of Presidents' Day. It sure is nice to have that extra day. And, by the way, the first spring training Cardinal and Royals baseball broadcast is one week from tomorrow.
Principal of the Year Announcement
Doug and I enjoyed our week with the surprise announcement of the Jim L. King Missouri Middle School and High Schools Principals of the Year. Congratulations to Dr. Kandy Worley, Principal, Seager MS in the Francis Howell SD and Dr. Greg Mathison, Principal, Marquette HS in the Rockwood SD. Both Kandy and Greg, represent the highest ideals of exemplary school leadership in our state. See more information in this Messenger.
Call to Action
Since we sent out a call to action on Monday regarding our opposition to SB 160, twenty-two state senators have heard from individual principals around the state. Thanks to the principals who responded in sending a clear message. There are a total of 34 Missouri state senators. We have a few more to contact. Click on the opposition to SB 160 link today.
As Doug and I travel the state, we hear of two main concerns with principals. Mental health issues and recruiting and retaining teachers. Take a few minutes to click on the link above to provide DESE needed information as they update the State Board on this growing concern.
Doug attended the SASSP Region Aspiring Assistant Principals and Athletic Directors Workshop yesterday. Dr. Bernard DuBray, Superintendent, Fort Zumalt, was the opening keynote with his presentation, entitled, "Leadership Matters." Doug said the workshop was well attended and organized. The workshop included mock interviews, HR panel, and breakout sessions geared for middle school, high school, and athletic directors. Gary Jansen, Principal, Crestview MS in the Rockwood SD, serves as SASSP President. Great job SASSP!
The Central Region also met yesterday with Jonathan Petersen, Principal at Smithton HS, serving as President. Andy Campbell, Principal, Summit Ridge Academy in the Lee's Summit School District presented on the topic, “Becoming A Trauma Sensitive School.” The presentation was excellent and triggered the quote from Bruce Perry above. What does a "trauma-sensitive school" look like in your school?
Governor Parson Announces National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils...$300,000 available for fitness equipment
I have included the information below under new business if you are interested in pursuing this opportunity. School nominations are now open and will be accepted through Friday, March 22, 2019.
Are You An Aspiring Superintendent?
If you have visions of moving into the superintendent's chair at some point in your career, you might want to check out MASA's Aspiring Superintendent's Workshop March 27 at the Lodge of Four Seasons. See flyer and application under new business.
Whether you are aspiring, emerging, developing, or transformational, wherever you are on the “Principal’s Journey," it really is a “matter of principal(ple).” Clark Mershon
Help Welcome Our Newest MoASSP Member
Cole Dishman Marshfield R-I School Distr email@example.com Aspiring Member SW
Upcoming Regional Meetings, Workshops, & Spring Conference Information
Missouri Administration Jobs
Missouri Administration Jobs
It's Official! AMBA is Corporate Business Partner...MoASSP MEMBERS ENROLL TODAY & START SAVING
NILES MEDIA GROUP JOINS FORCES WITH MoASSP
MoASSP Board of Directors
- NASSP Coordinator for Missouri: John Faulkenberry, Lee's Summit HS
- MoASSP President: Ed Gettemeier, Hardin MS
- MoASSP President-Elect: Marc Spunaugle, Lincoln HS
- MoASSP Past President: Chris Hoehne, Ste. Genevieve HS
- MoASSP Treasurer: Kathryn Greer, Francis Howell North HS
- At-Large Non-Public: Valerie Todd, St. Mary's HS
- At-Large Assistant Principal: Jennifer Strauser, Eureka HS
- At-Large Middle Level: Jonathan Apostol, Monett MS
- Kansas City (GKCMPA): Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee's Summit North HS
- Northwest: Robert Bowers, Lathrop HS
- Northeast: Scott Daly, Hallsville HS
- Southeast: Dan Hecht, Kelly-Benton HS
- Southwest: Sarah Odom, Cherokee MS
- South Central: Jim Pritchett, Rolla HS
- Central: Brandon Harding, Cole Camp HS
- St. Louis (SASSP): Andy Croley, McCluer North HS
- NASSP Board Member: Kevin Lowery, Lebanon HS
2018-2019 District Presidents
- Central Region: Jonathan Peterson, Smithton HS
- GKCMPA: Charlie Belt, Blue Springs South HS
- Northeast Region: Deborah Hill-Haag, Mexico MS
- Northwest Region: Beery Johnson, Benton HS
- SASSP: Gary Jansen, Crestview MS (Rockwood)
- South Central Region: Kelle McCallum, Washington HS
- Southeast Region: Lucas McKinnis, Bernie HS
- Southwest Region: Keith White, Buffalo HS
Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
The vision of MoASSP is to serve ALL middle level and high school administrators.
The mission of MoASSP is to improve secondary education through positive leadership and the enhancement of student performance.