April 12, 2019
3rd Grade ColorCycle Project!
Co-written by 3rd grade students: Michael M. and David K.
Do you know what happens to crayons and markers when you throw them away? They end up in landfills for hundreds of years and that is bad for our environment! That is why the students in Mrs. Collins’ 3rd grade class are participating in a crayon and marker recycling project.
We have decided to collect old crayons and markers so that they can be recycled. The crayons that we collect will be sent to a project called The Crayon Initiative. The Crayon Initiative collects broken and worn-down crayons by melting the crayons and making new ones. The new crayons are then donated to children’s hospitals around the country for sick children.
Crayola’s ColorCycle program collects and recycles dried out markers and uses them to make diesel fuel that school buses can use! Fun Fact: 1 container of 8 markers can produce enough energy to cook 2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast, and 2 cups of hot chocolate!
We will be distributing recycling boxes to classes that would like to participate in our project. We will be collecting crayons and markers including Sharpies, dry erase markers and highlighters. You can join in the project too by sending in any broken crayons or dried out markers that you may have at home. Your child can place them in the recycling box in their classroom and one or our Recycling Champions will come to collect them!
You can learn more about each of these projects by visiting:
Let’s work together to keep our world a colorful place!
The following state assessment dates are planned for our students:
- Grades 3-6: English/Language Arts PSSAs will be on April 15-17
- Grades 3-6: Math PSSAs will be on April 29-30
- Grade 4: Science PSSAs will be on May 1-2
Please be sure…
- Your child is well-rested and eats breakfast.
- Your child arrives to school on time. If students arrive after testing has begun, they will need to take the test during a make-up date.
- Your child is feeling well. If an illness is apparent, your child should stay home. He or she will have an opportunity to complete the test on make-up dates.
- Your child does not have their cell-phone, smartwatch, etc. on them.
- Your child has taken any needed medication.
- Any mints or snacks that are provided are dissolvable – not hard candy, which is a choking hazard.
The testing time window lasts until 11-11:30 a.m. on most testing days.
We appreciate the daily encouragement we know you will provide to reduce any unnecessary anxiety. If your child is exhausted or disappointed after a day of testing, validate their efforts and reassure him/her that this is just one test and there will be plenty of additional opportunities to show what he/she has learned!
Your contributions will help us create a celebration of Warwick worthy of its 100-year history.
To view the entire Warwick calendar for this school year, click here.
Before parents and guardians can volunteer, they must have all necessary clearances. Click here so you are ready when volunteer opportunities arise.
Help Support Warwick
You can support Warwick while you shop. It is easy! Here is how...
- Giant A+: Go to https://giantfoodstores.com/ and select SIGN IN or REGISTER. Once Logged in, select MY ACCOUNT, then MANAGE MY ACCOUNT, then REWARDS & SAVINGS. You will need your 11-digit BONUSCARD number and school ID number which is 26483. If you need assistance, cal 1-888-814-4268 option 1.
- Box Tops: Please clip Box Tops and return them to school.
- Amazon Smile: Go to Amazon Smile and use the search feature to find Warwick Elementary PTO in Jamison, PA. When shopping at Amazon, use Amazon Smile to benefit Warwick.
Thank you for your continued support!
Click here to learn more about our amazing PTO and how you can get involved!
- Previous Warwick Weeklies
- Warwick Parent/Guardian Handbook
- Library Newsletters: Check out upcoming events, what books are hot, and what students in each grade are learning in the Warwick Library!
- Having trouble finding that next great book to read. Try the "What Should I Read Next website: https://whatshouldireadnext.com.
- My Payments Plus
- Lunch Menu
- Apply for Free/Reduced Breakfast & Lunch
- Teacher Web Pages
- Parent/Guardian Volunteer Requirements
- PTO: Web Page and Letter from our President
- When to Keep your Student Home from School for Illness
- CBSD Mobile App - Parents and guardians can get a FREE CB App to keep up with all things Warwick and CB.
- Before/Aftercare at Warwick
- Parent Portal - Ongoing student progress reporting and more.
- CB Cares Education Foundation's Backpack Newsflash
- E-Friday Folder
- We Want to Hear from You - An online place to record feedback for us on how we did each week.
Follow us on Twitter
Get Warwick Tweets by following @CBWarwickElem on Twitter. Or you can view our Twitter feed by visiting our Warwick home page.
Follow/Like us on Facebook
New this year, Warwick has its own Facebook Page. We will use this to communicate highlights and upcoming events much like we do using Twitter.
Follow the instructions to download the free CBSD app to stay connected with all of your selected CBSD schools.