Second Grade Rock Stars
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
Coming on Tour Soon:
- 08/31: Friday Journal due back (Remember to respond over the weekend in it!)
- 09/03: Coffee Talk with Admin and WAVE Team (Love your second grader's teacher? Tell them there! Can't make it? You may also email them all about how much you absolutely love Mrs. Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 09/03: WAVE Meeting: 6:30-7:30pm
- 09/04: Homework Packet Due!
- 09/07: No School: Labor Day
- 09/08: Parents Get Googley Night 6pm-8pm Del Paso Cafeteria
- 09/10: Westlake Charter Board Meeting on Pebblewood Campus (6:30-8:00p.m.)
- 09/11: Crazy Hair Day
- 09/17: WAVE Bingo Night on Del Paso Campus (6:30-8:00p.m.)
- 09/24: WCMS Chili Cook Off on Pebblewood Campus
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
This week we began Writing Workshop! Students are eager to begin writing! Through read-alouds and discussion we realized that authors can get ideas from other books, from each other, and from memories. Students began writing ideas for stories down on their "Jot Pages" of their Writer's Notebook because as Roald Dahl says, "When I get a good one, mind you, I quickly write it down so that I won't forget it because it disappears otherwise rather like a dream."
We also began the beginnings of Math Workshop and students got to see kind of how it works. We love moving from one station to the next with music! We have been reviewing the basics of addition and making sure everyone has a solid grasp on regrouping and what the place values actually stand for. We also learned some tricks to add quicker and easier- like counting on by starting with the biggest number.
In reading we began the week with our I PICK Book Picnic. We picked out books using the I PICK system and added them to our book box to read. We also made a menu list of books we want to read when we are finished reading the books in our book box. We worked on building more stamina on Read to Self and started reading with a partner using the EEKK method (elbow to elbow, knee to knee, book in the middle so we both can see).
On Friday, we busted out the ChromeBooks! We learned how to carefully and properly take them out, put them away, and put them in red, yellow, and green mode.
Levels D and C
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Building Stamina, Book Shopping, Beginning Reading Strategies
Writing: Jotting down memories
Language: Capitals, Proper Nouns, and Ending Punctuation
Social Studies: Continents and Oceans, review of cardinal directions, Intro into What does a scientist do?
You Already Got Volunteer Time!
Just log your hours here: www.westlakecharter.volunteerbuilder.com (Make sure you bookmark it to easily and quickly log your hours in the future!)
If you need any directions on how to log them, you can find them by clicking HERE!
Questions to ask your child...
- What is the difference between Level D and Level C?
- What is in your book box?
- What was the Class WOW Goal? (Tracking the speaker the whole time and right away) How do you think you did on meeting this goal?
- How do you take out your Chromebook? How do you put it away?
- Can you tell me all about how you read with a partner?
- What is an equation and what does it need to make it one?
- What was your favorite thing about this week?
Contact the Band Manager!
Second Grade Teacher
Westlake Charter School
All of Second Grade Reminders Text: @wcs2nd to the phone number: 81010
Messages that only pertain to our class: text @4rockstar to the number: 81010