The Boutz Buzz
All About Us Craze Over Three and Half Days
What a week! Who's idea was it to have back to back short weeks? I personally dislike them and half days are the WORST for kindergarten friends! The schedule is completely different and it feels really rushed. I know I am looking forward to having a full week of learning next week!
We did learn 2 new letters/sounds (Rr & Hh) and 2 new sight words (an & and) this week. Sight words this week were trickier than before. "An" is a difficult one for kiddos to understand because we haven't taught the concept of vowels yet, so they don't understand using "a" vs. "an". Then, the word "and" looks so similar they tend to struggle with interchanging these a lot. Please begin practicing letter names, sounds and sight words at home when possible.
We learned ways to make the number 5 (ex: 1 red counters & 4 yellow counters). This is the foundation for addition but I personally find it difficult to know this early in the year. We will continue to practice it throughout the year, but it is always good practice at home. We also discussed the number 0 and how it represents nothing, or empty. My hope is to finish Chapter 1 Monday, take the "test" Tuesday and begin Chapter 2 Wednesday. I will send home a "homework" packet for them to complete as practice once we've taken the test. If they complete it and return it they get a piece of candy and a stamp. ;)
Some have been "struggling" in math. We do all work together as a class, but many use the time to play or space off instead of following along. I've been trying to keep everyone together but it is not a matter of they "can't do it" . Therefore, I've been having those who don't do it with us, work on it with me during free time. However, if you've noticed your child is truly struggling, please let me know. So, far I am seeing a pretty strong class number sense (ex: 3 counters show the number 3) wise. I am hoping the use of more manipulatives, videos and etc will help keep them involved in the following weeks.
We wrote our own "All About Me" book this week! We discussed how each of us is different and like different things but that is what makes us special. Please have your child read it to you, they are pretty excited about writing a book! We also talked about "what I want to be when I grow up". The list was SOOO cute, from pilots to princesses to police officers! I look forward to seeing if these change throughout the year. ;)
Next week we will be learning about apples! We will discuss the parts of an apple and read non-fiction text. We will have many apple themed activities and need your help. If possible, please send 1 apple to school with your child by Thursday. It can be any variety. We will be graphing the different kinds, having a tasting party and hopefully making applesauce in celebration of Johnny Appleseed’s birthday. It will be a yummy week. Thanks in advance!
- No school tomorrow! Lucky you! I will be sitting in professional development all day when I would much rather be with my rascals!
- We have 2 new friends in our class! Leigha and Gracie are great additions and we are so excited to have them! Please note, we will need 22 snacks from now on.
- Our field trip to Alldredge Orchards will be on October 25th! Please mark this date down on your calendar! We will send more information as the date gets closer. For those asking, we WILL be taking chaperones. If we have more sign up than we have room for, there will be a lottery on which parent gets to go. However, you are always welcomed to drive yourself and meet us there to join in the fun, without being a chaperone.
As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email or call me.
Our theme is Apples!
- Sight words: me, we
- Animated Literacy: Ar is for Arnie Ardvark; Jj is for Jenny Jaguar; Kk is for Kimmy Kangaroo
- Reading Focus: Fiction vs. Non-Fiction
- Finish Chapter 1, Understanding the numeral 0
- Begin Chapter 2, Compare Numbers to 5
- Use manipulatives to show
- We will discuss the scientific method.
- Our 5 Senses
- Answering the question: "Where do apples come from?"
Dates to Remember
September 16: NO SCHOOL
September 21: All Pro Dads 8a ; Cici’s Night 4-8p
September 26: Book Orders Due
September 28: Fall Picture Day
October 1: Jackson’s Birthday
8:30-9:00 Math Stations
9:30-9:40 Restroom Break
9:50-11:10 Literacy Block
11:15- 11:40 Lunch
11:40-11:50 Restroom Break
11:50-12:10 Animated Literacy
12:40- 1:15 Math
2:10-2:20 Restroom Break
2:20-2:35 Quiet Time/Lexia
2:40-3:10 Social Studies/Science
3:10-3:15 Pack Up
3:15-3:30 Discovery Time
Please contact me with any questions or concerns.
Class Dojo is the best and easiest way to reach me! :D