CFL Family August Newsletter
Week of August 6th
This newsletter can be automatically translated into 108 different languages. If you open this newsletter on your phone, look for the "Accessibility Icon" for language options. To translate from a laptop or computer, please watch this short informational video in English or in Spanish:
Garfield 16 Overarching Mission Statement:
As a result of our efforts, all students will be successfully prepared for life in a safe and nurturing environment.
Our School Mission Statement:
Our School Vision Statement:
Our vision is that all graduating first graders leave CFL as critically thinking young citizens with strong academic and social/emotional foundations
Welcome Back to School!
Dear CFL Families,
I would like to welcome everyone back to school, and extend a special welcome to all of our new students and their families. The staff and I are looking forward to another exciting year of learning at CFL. I hope you are enjoying a wonderful summer. I also hope you are relaxed, recharged and ready to start a new school year. I am so delighted that you are part of our amazing learning community. I welcome and value your positive energy and dedication to excellence in education, and I look forward to working with you and your children.
You can expect monthly newsletters from myself to keep you up to date as to what is happening here at CFL and in the classrooms. Please help us by communicating with our school staff as well. A good way of staying up to date on school information is to visit our website at www.garfiled16.org. From there you can find several sources of information that will keep you informed of all the happenings at CFL.
We are excited to begin the 2022-2023 school year at CFL. We will strive to provide the best education possible for your child. If at any time during the school year you feel the need to contact me, please feel free to call 970-285-5703 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 23rd and 24th Tuesday and Wednesday: Please come into the office and parents will be able to walk their child to their classrooms for scheduled pre-assessment time. We are asking parents to then head to the atrium where our secretaries Veronica and Miram will have important paperwork that will need to be completed as well as important information.
Welcoming Students and Helping Students find their way.
Teachers and staff will greet all students both in front of CFL and at the bus drop off.
Teachers will be in their classrooms and will be asking about pick up plans.
If a student forgets or is unsure of their teacher's name there will be many staff members available to help them find their way.
- Each classroom teacher will greet their students and answer any question you may have.
- At 8:40 Students will be allowed to enter the building and head to their classroom
Parents will be able to drop their child off in their classroom that first week. After that we ask that you follow the kiss and go procedures for morning dropoff.
Kiss and Go Procedures
Parents come into the atrium of the building and stop at the Kiss and Go sign.
Say goodbye to your child
Your child will walk to their class. If they need help we will have teachers to support.
This allows for a smooth morning start
Garfield 16 is providing all school supplies again this year. Please make sure students have a backpack, water bottle and a sturdy pair of tennis shoes for PE and recess.
We have bottle filling stations. Students will need a water bottle, as we do not provide cups.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call the school! Veronica Duran and Miriam Baltazar, our friendly and super helpful secretaries, are in the office Tuesday through Friday and can be reached from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call the school at (970) 285-5702.
We are looking forward to an amazing 2022-2023 school year!
Kim Frees (Principal) and the CFL Faculty and Staff
Just a quick reminder that we are a four day school week!
Tuesday - Friday We begin our day at 8:40 a.m. and end our day at 4:20 p.m.
K-1 Back to School Night at CFL
We hope that you will join us in celebrating the start of the 2022/2023 School Year. You will have the opportunity to meet your teacher, take a tour of the school/classroom, and see new classmates and friends!
Monday, August 22nd, 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
🍦🍧🍨ICE CREAM WILL BE SERVED 🍦🍧🍨
If this date and time does not work for your family, please call the CFL office.
We are so excited to have preschool programs at both BUE and CFL!
We are busy going through all the preschool applications this week. Thank you for your patience while we determine eligibility and create classes. We plan to have this work completed in the next couple of days, and you will be hearing from us soon regarding preschool placement for your child.
We will be conducting in person home visits this year. Your child's teachers will be setting up a time with you soon to visit. Home visits will be the week of August 23rd-26th.
The first official day for preschool is August 30th. We want to have a more gentle start to the year for students. Rather than having all students start together on the first day, we will be asking small groups of students to stagger their start times and days on the first two days. Your child's teacher will call you with the date and time for the 30th or 31st. This will allow your child's teacher to spend more quality time getting to know your child. We find it much less intimidating for students also to have their first experience in the classroom to be with a small group of students for a shorter period of time. We will start our regular, full class times on September 1st.
BUE and CFL Preschool Back to School Nights will be Friday August 26th from 3:00-5:00
We can't wait to see you all!
Transportation and Bus Routes
If your child will be riding the bus, please fill out Bus Registration Form. Children will not be able to ride the bus the 1st day without the form. Bus Routes are posted on the transportation website. Please check the website closer to the 1st day of school, as bus routes may be updated a bit between now and then.
If you have questions or need any additional information, please call the our Transporation Director, Steve Gardener, at the Transportation office (970) 285-5700 ext. 5130.
Breakfast and Lunch Menus are available on our district and school website!
School breakfast and lunch menus are currently being created and updated for the start of the school year. If you are ever looking for the breakfast and lunch menus, please visit our district Nutrition Department Website where you can link directly to each month's menus. These menus can also be accessed on the CFL Website. Menus will be posted as soon as they are ready for the year!
Please keep in mind that menus have the potential to change A LOT depending on staffing issues, and product availability. Our Nutrition Department does their best to honor the posted menus; however, they can be heavily impacted for a variety of reasons. If you ever have any questions, please call 285-5701 ext. 4180 with any questions or email email@example.com
Please fill out even if you do not think you qualify. We thank you as your effort supports grant writing and funding initiatives district-wide. The packet is in both English and Spanish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When is the 1st day of School?
- Answer: Tuesday, August 24th and 25th are our Assessment days. Your child is scheduled for either a morning or afternoon time. Scheduled times were sent last week. If you did not get one please all the CFL office at 285-5702. Students first full day is August 25th.
Q: What are school start and end times
- Answer: The first bell rings at 8:40 We end our day at 4:20
Q: Who is my student's teacher?
- Answer: If your child was a kinder student in our district last year, they will have their same teacher. If they are in Kindergarten student met them last spring at our transition day. If you need to know who your student's teacher is, please call our office at (970) 285-5702.
How soon should I get a background check?
- Answer: A background check is valid for the entire school year, so we recommend getting a background check in August, which will last the entire school year?
Q: Do I need a background check to walk my child to class on the 1st day of school?
- Answer: No, background checks will be required for all voulenteers who work directly with students.
Q: Do I need a background check to volunteer at CFL
- Answer: Yes. Volunteering in any capacity, you need a background check.
Q: Do I need a background check to attend Back to School Open House or an evening concert/event at CFL?
- Answer: No. These activities are not during school hours, and therefore you do not need a background check.
Q: Do I need a background check to attend an off-site field trip with my student?
- Answer: Yes. All fieldwork/field trips are considered an extension of the classroom and require a background check. Some field trips extend into evening hours and/or are overnight trips. Even though they may be outside of normal school hours, any and all field trips require a background check.
Q: What school supplies will my child need?
- Answer: Garfield 16 is able to provide most school supplies for CFL students this year. Families will need to provide a backpack and appropriate gym shoes for their student(s)..
Q: How much do school breakfasts and lunches cost?
- Answer: At CFL all students benefit from a free breakfast and lunch grant obtained through the efforts of our Garfield 16 Nutrition Department. In order to continue to qualify for this grant, we need all families to fill out the Free and Reduced Lunch Packet, regardless of family income.
Q: Can my child ride a bus to school.
- Answer: Yes! We have bus routes for CFL students which can be found online Please contact our director of transportation, Steve Gardner, for any questions or for more information at (970) 285-5700 ext 5130.
Q: What kind of technology will my child have access to?
- Answer: All students at CFL will have their own Chromebook. They will be able to take their Chromebooks home with them. We highly encourage you to purchase Chromebook insurance to protect you in case of accidental damage. Technology insurance forms will be sent home with students on the 1st day of school and are also available using this link: Chromebook Insurance. Please return the insurance form and payment to the CFL office as soon as possible.
Q: Will there be a back-to-school event this year?
- Answer: Yes! Open House for CFL Kindergarten and 1st Grade students will be Monday, August 22nd from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm.Back to school night for Preschool will be August 26th from 3:00-5:00
Q: I didn't see my question here, who do I ask?
- Answer: You are always welcome to call our office at (970) 285-5702. You are also always welcome to reach out to our school principal, Mrs. Frees, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and she will get back to you as soon as possible.