Amazing April News
Eating for Optimal Brain Health
“Forget low-carb and low-fat diets. Eat a ‘right-carb’ and a ‘right-fat’ diet for optimal brain health!”– William Sears, MD
Food affects the brain the most, for better or worse. Choosing foods that support optimal brain health is key to overall wellness. It will help your brain grow healthy cells, make healthy connections and operate calmly and efficiently.
Healthy connections are how the brain makes sense of information, creates memory and signals muscles to react and move. Four factors influence brain health. They are:nutrition, thoughts, the blood that flows through the brain, and “exercise” the brain receives.
When you think about healthy eating, don’t just think about the benefits it will have on your waistline. Instead, think of all the positive benefits your brain receives from getting the right brain-boosting nutrition!
Your brain needs omega-3 fats, antioxidants, folate and lots of carbs for optimal function:
· Carbohydrates are needed in a constant supply because your brain doesn’t store the glucose it needs for energy. You have to continually eat the right carbs for a steady supply of energy.
· Omega-3s are important building blocks in the brain and help speed nerve impulses, which help you think faster.
· Folate is a nutrient for preserving neurotransmitter function.
· Antioxidants keep the blood brain barrier healthy, helping with memory, protecting cells from wear and tear due to inflammation and improving blood flow by decreasing excessive blood clotting.
Top 5 Brain-Boosting Foods
1. Fish: wild caught salmon (omega-3s)
2. Berries: blueberries, blackberries (antioxidants)
3. Greens: bokchoy, spinach, collard greens (folate)
4. Carbohydrates: fruits, vegetables (“right-carbs”)
5. Nuts + Seeds: walnuts, ground flax seed (omega-3s)
If you’re ready to make healthier choices, but need help getting started, contact me to schedule a consultation – the first step to a healthier you. Want to learn more about the brain-healthy habits you can make? See a full calendar of my workshops in your area!
Makes: 2-4 servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
· 1 6 ounce can wild caught salmon or tuna
· 2 eggs
· ¼ cup whole grain bread crumbs (optional)
· 1 clove garlic, crushed
· 2 teaspoons coconut oil
Mexican style: 3 tablespoons corn, 3 tablespoons black beans, dash of hot sauce
Asian style: 1 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons peas, 3 tablespoons shredded carrots
Italian style: 2 tablespoons marinara or pizza sauce, 2 tablespoons diced bell peppers, 1 tablespoons. diced black olives, mozzarella cheese sprinkled on top
Thai style: 1 teaspoon curry powder, 3 tablespoons shredded zucchini
1. Mix all the ingredients together.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet. Place 3 or 4 scoops of the salmon mixture in the skillet and flatten into patties about ½ inch. Brown on both sides and serve.
ONLINE Health and Wellness Classes! Prime - Time Health
April 18 @ 12:00 am - June 24 @ 11:00 pm
Prime-Time Health is a scientifically proven plan for healthy aging. This is a great class for all ages to learn preventative measures and new skills to help improve life!
Main topics of the course are
Week 1: Introduction
Week 2: Open Your Internal Pharmacy – Learn about the keys, and the science behind your body’s internal pharmacy. You can help your body produce these custom-made medicines and be in charge of your health.
Week 3: Pills and Skills
Week 4: Make Health Your Hobby– Understand how the body works and focus on making good choices for great health every day.
Week 5: Graze On Good Food
Week 6: Move Waste from your Waist- Waist size is a strong indicator of our overall health! Find out how to remove toxic waste and eliminate the health-harming chemicals that are produced by belly fat.
Week 7: Move More!
Week 8: Reduce Inflammation– Inflammation literally means the body’s immune system is on fire. Learn the primary causes, and ways to reduce inflammation throughout the body.
Week 9: Eat Real Food
Week 10: Don’t Worry, Be Happy!
All classes are online! Enjoy learning from the comfort of your own home at your own pace!
I will have weekly virtual meetings for those who are interested to answer questions, discuss the weekly topic and address any additional information!
*10 week course
*All resources are provided online
*Email me additional information!
ONLINE Family Health and Wellness Classes!
L.E.A.N. Start Online Course
April 18 @ 12:00 am - May 28 @ 11:00 pm
This 6 week course is designed for families looking to learn, implement and maintain healthy lifestyles. The course is family friendly with information, recipes, helpful tips, and interactive activities for all ages. The six segments of the course include: Traffic Light Eating & Portion Control, Brainy Breakfasts & Grains, Veggies & Fruits, The Skinny on Fat, Power Up With Protein and Play, and Water.
April 18, 2016
All materials online!
Meet one time per week-virtual communication
Email me for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org