New Guinea

Collapse Project

By: Charlie Adl

Background

Located in the southwestern Pacific Ocean the Is island New Guinea, Papua New Guinea is a very diverse geographical country. Mostly mountainous, Papua New Guinea has a diverse geography, with an expansive tropical rain-forest, wetlands, and beaches. Papua New Guinea civilization never really collapsed, except had a large down fall when European invaders invaded. It had an amazing political system where if something went wrong the government/leaders of the tribes would come together and try and fix the problem. Over half the population is under the age of 20, and 85% of the people live in villages spread wide-cross, and the other 15% living in urban areas. New Guinea is filled with many natural resources and has many staple foods, the biggest being Sago Palm. New Guinea is very diverse in everything.

Political

New Guinea was separated into many different tribes. Tribes kept in touch with other tribes, but when there was pre-war between tribes, there would be no fighting. Other tribes would help sort out the conflict and war/destruction never happened. With good and wise tribe leaders came a prospering nation. Most traditional leaders achieved influence by building extensive networks of exchange partners and supporters. New Guinea prospered because of the civil tribes. Once European invaders came, things got uncivilized. But before the "Head-Hunters" (group of people that went hunting for invaders and would cut there games heads off as trophies) there was civilized tribes who lived peacefully.

Geographical

New Guinea's highlands were only one of only nine independent centers of plant domestication in the world. For 7,000 years the agriculture has prospered and been going on. New Guinea is slightly larger than California, being 462,860 sq. km. The terrain consists of mainly mountains. The climate is tropical monsoon climate. There is fertile soil, which allowed the tribes to grow crops and live peacefully. The country is a large island off Australia. Over 75% of New Guinea is rain-forest. Other parts are swamps, beaches, grassy-plains, and even desert. New-Guinea's civilization was geographically diverse and prospered using all different types of land to their advantage.

Social

In New Guinea, 70% of women will be either assaulted or raped in there life-time. Women are discriminated in New Guinea, and treated as weak and lesser. Sea-shells were considered currency in New Guinea. Marriage was decided by matching looks and intelligence. Higher education was a goal of parents. Traditions and religion played a huge role in the tribes. Decision were made based off of religious beliefs. People were connected by messengers and villages lived wide-spread. New Guinea was social diverse.