Buzzin' in the Hive
Graden Parent and Family Newsletter January 2024
Welcome Back Graden Hornets,
Happy 2024 to one and all! As 2023 came to a close, I am beyond thankful for the support and understanding you have given us at Graden during this year. I appreciate all that you do to help Graden be the school it is and I am hopeful that 2024 will be a wonderful year to remember.
As most of us think about New Year's resolutions, we find ourselves reflecting on the academic and leadership progress our students have made and anticipate the unlimited successes of 2024.
While we work hard on the academics at Graden Elementary, we also work extremely hard in promoting positive character development in our students. Each day our students begin the school day by reciting our "Graden Pledge" along with the "Pledge of Allegiance" and their classroom mission statement. We truly feel that developing positive character within our students, along with solid academic skills, will give our students the skills they need for future success.
Over the next semester, we look forward to the academic growth of our hornets and will continue to embrace the social and emotional components of their development. I commend our dedicated teaching staff as they strive for continuous improvement to ensure the best learning experiences for your children. Thank you for your generosity and ongoing support of our many activities and fundraisers. You do make a difference.
In closing, remember to take care of yourself and if you need help or support, don’t be afraid to ask, we always have time for that. Thanks too, for the “gifts” of your children. We promise to handle them with great care during 2024.
Don’t forget that January 10th is EARLY RELEASE @ 2:00 pm
Wear your leadership shirts!!!
Also, there is no school on Monday, January 15th, in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Thursday, January 4th - First Day of 2nd Semester
Tuesday, January 9th - Report Cards Available in Infinite Campus
Tuesday, January 9th - PTA Meeting - 6:00 pm - Library
Wednesday, January 10th - Early Release - 2:00 pm
Monday, January 15th - No School - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Thursday, January 25th - 2nd Grade Musical
It's truly a GREAT DAY to be a HORNET!!!
Dr. Vanna Easley
NEWS FROM MRS. GITTEMEIER SCHOOL COUNSELOR
JANUARY 18: RESTORATIVE PRACTICES COMMUNITY LEARNING OPPORTUNITY: WEBINAR #2
Have you ever been surprised by your child's (or your student's) reaction to a situation? Have you ever been stunned by your reaction to a situation? We are all hardwired to experience a break in positive feelings or experiences by landing somewhere on the Compass of Shame.
Join us for Webinar #2 of our Restorative Practices Series with our guests and thought partners, Collaborative School Culture. This virtual learning opportunity will be on January 18 at 6 p.m. This session will explore elements of restorative practices that help us be more aware of our own (and others’) reactions and feelings to build stronger relationships and the culture of community in the Park Hill School District. Register here.
Students are expected to go out for recess each day. Appropriate clothing and shoes should be worn for outside activities. On days when the temperature and/or wind chill is above 20 degrees Fahrenheit and the playground is cleared of snow and ice, there will be outdoor recess. Please send warm coats to school daily as the weather is beginning to change and all students will go out to recess each day the weather meets our guidelines. Per the Park Hill Parent and Student Handbook, "If your child is to be excused from recess, a written explanation is required. To be excused for more than three days a written doctor's recommendation is required."
BIRTHDAY PARTY FAVORS & DAILY TREATS
Students may bring birthday treats into class to celebrate their birthday as long as they come from our list of treats that contain none of the major allergens.
Thank you for understanding that all classroom treats must come from this list, because we do not have the staff capacity to check for allergens that could threaten the health of some students.
Each classroom celebrates birthdays at a time that is conducive to their schedule. We do not allow parents or families to join classrooms for birthday celebrations as these are opportunities for students to celebrate with the teacher and classmates.
Approved Birthday Treats:
Please bring birthday treats ahead of time (two hours after the start of school, at the latest).
- Crazy straws
- Blow Pops
- Juice boxes
- Dum Dum lollipops
- Jelly Belly
- Ring Pops
- Sour Patch Kids
- Swedish Fish
- Life Saver Gummies
Early release days will be on Wednesdays for the 2023-24 school year. Dismissal on early release days begins at 2:00 pm.
All students will engage in a cultural arts assembly and, some months, students will join interest groups to participate in an activity of high interest to them.
Early Release Dates
Wednesday, January 10th
Wednesday, February 7th
Wednesday, March 6th
Wednesday, April 3rd
Wednesday, May 1st
2nd Semester Lunch Schedule for Early Release Days:
The lunch schedule is different second semester and changes each month. Please contact your classroom teacher if you plan to eat lunch with your student on early release days.
Wear Your Yellow "Strive in the Hive" Leadership on All Early Release Days!!!
Lunch visitors are welcome each day at Graden. If you would like to join your Hornet for lunch, please bring your license upon check-in at the Graden office. If you plan to purchase a school lunch, please have funds in your student's account or bring payment with you.
Visitors may also join recess after lunch. Please head immediately to the Graden office after recess to check-out.
Graden Lunch Schedule:
Kindergarten: 11:00 am -11:20 am
1st Grade: 11:20 am - 11:40 am
2nd Grade: 11:40 am - 12:00 pm
3rd Grade: 12:20 pm - 12:40 pm
4th Grade: 12:00 pm - 12:20 pm
5th Grade: 12:45 pm - 1:05 pm
Graden PTA Board Members:
Hayley Cooper, President
Emily Miller, Vice President
Brittany Conklin, Secretary
Maggie Wright, Teacher Rep
Angie Liberty, Parliamentarian
Happy New Year!
PTA is looking ahead and is starting its annual process of selecting new Board Members for the 2024-2025 school year. We would LOVE for you to get involved! Please check out the positions below and email email@example.com if you are interested! Hope to see you at our first PTA Meeting of the year on January 9th, 6:00pm in the Graden Library (childcare provided)!
2024 PTA BOARD POSITION OPENINGS
Graden's PTA will be selecting new board members for 2024-2025 School Year. The following positions will be up for election:
President: (To qualify to serve as president, the nominee must have served as an officer for at least one (1) year)
- preside at all meetings of this local PTA;
- serve as an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee; and
- coordinate the work of the officers and committees of this local PTA in order that the Purposes may be promoted.
- serve as aide to the president; and
- perform the duties of the president in the president’s absence or inability to serve.
- record and preserve the minutes of all meetings of the Graden Elementary School PTA;
- be prepared to read the records of any previous meetings;
- preserve all records;
- have a current copy of the bylaws;
- maintain a current membership list; and
- forward names and addresses of newly elected officers to the state office no later than March 31.
- submit the books for an annual financial review and upon the resignation or removal of the treasurer or any other authorized bank account signatory;
- keep the record of the state and national portions of the membership dues separate from the record of the general funds of the local unit and remit all state and national portions of the membership dues to the state office. All state and national portions are payable to the state office the first of each month;
- submit a copy of the unit’s fiscal year-end report to the state PTA by December 1st of each year;
- submit a copy of the unit’s annual financial review to the state PTA by December 1st of each year;
- submit a copy of the required IRS tax form to the state PTA by December 1st of each year;
- lead, coordinate, and organize fundraising efforts as outlined in the annual budget;
- follow district and school fundraising guidelines; and
- ensure fundraising events are designed to meet the mission of the local PTA.
- advise the president and other officers on matters of parliamentary procedures; and
- ensure bylaws are followed, up-to-date, and approved.
- act as a liaison between the Graden Elementary staff and the Graden Elementary School PTA;
- report at each PTA meeting information relevant to the local PTA initiatives; and
- report to Graden Elementary staff requests, updates, initiatives and achievements of the Graden Elementary School PTA.
Connect with us on Facebook to see our upcoming events and learn how you can get involved with PTA.
2023-24 PTA Meeting Dates
Tuesday, January 9th, 2024
Tuesday, February 13th, 2024
Tuesday, March 12th, 2024
Tuesday, April 9th, 2024
Tuesday, May 14th, 2024
School Hours: 9:10 am - 4:10 pm
Doors open at 8:55 am for breakfast
Dismissal begins at 3:55 pm
Principal: Vanna Easley
Assistant Principal: Morgan Taylor
Executive Administrative Assistant: Nikki Suchanick
Graden Registrar: Angy Bullin