Takoma Park MS Community Newsletter
Week of October 3rd
Dear TPMS Families,
As we wrap up this week, I want to take a moment to thank our Parent Teacher Student Association, Mr. Einhorn and Ms. Patterson-Breese, along with the Difference Makers, for planning a successful 7th and 8th grade Ice Cream Social. It was great to see families while we enjoyed some sweet treats!!
Our fall clubs and activities are in full swing and it is great to see so many students participating! Please check out some of our pictures from our after school programs.
Finally, I want to elevate a few upcoming events.
- Tuesday, October 4th, students will be practicing our shelter and lockdown procedures.
- Thursday, October 6th, Virtual Parent Meeting on Safety and Security Procedures at Takoma Park Middle School. (See zoom information below.)
- Tuesday, October 11th, October PTSA Meeting. This meeting will focus on the HS Choice Process and a speaker from PEP. I encourage all families to attend, especially our 8th grade families.
- Open House, originally scheduled for October 10th, has been rescheduled to November due to a conflict with Outdoor Education for our 6th grade families.
The PTSA Citrus Sale has officially begun! Please check with your child as they should have brought home a sales packet today.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Safety and Security at TPMS
The administration invites you to attend a parent meeting on safety and security preparedness at TPMS. I highly encourage all families to attend this virtual event.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 879 8551 3066
Thursday, Oct 6, 2022, 07:00 PM
From Ms. Chi, our NAACP Parent Representative
Thank you to those who came out and who supported the 7th and 8th grade Ice Cream Socials yesterday. It was a great event! Thanks especially to the organizer, Shana Fulcher?
Can you help make future events a success?
Mark Your Calendars and Sign up to Volunteer:
- September 30: Start Selling Citrus for the PTSA/Difference Makers' Fall Citrus Sale (flyers went home today!)
The Takoma Park Middle School Difference Makers and PTSA are working together to raise money for the TPMS students through the Fresh Fruit Sale Fundraiser from today, Sept 30 through Monday, October 24. Fruit will be distributed in mid-November.
Students who sell at least one case will be entered in a school-wide raffle and grade level competition for a winning end of sale celebration. Donation purchases can be made to Tommy’s Pantry as well, further extending the benefits of the sale beyond TPMS.
As an alternative to order forms students must submit by October 20, you can also order online at: https://bit.ly/tpmsfruitsale2022. This link can be shared with your personal networks as well to support TPMS student-centered activities which may include but are not limited to the following: field trips, student recognition programs, school dances, student passion projects, and afterschool programs. Contact: email@example.com
- October 11: Second TPMS PTSA Meeting (7-8:30PM, TPMS). Come meet other parents, hear about school activities and participate in a discussion with Dara Kessler of the Parent Encouragement Program sharing a "Quick Start Guide to Happier Parenting: Three Tools You Can Use Today!" Minutes from our first meeting last Tuesday are on the PTSA website here. The meeting will be hybrid and translation will be provided.
- October 12: TPMS Eats Out at Cielo Rojo (11AM to 9PM): Local favorite Cielo Rojo is partnering with TPMS again for our annual TPMS Eats Out event. The restaurant will donate 10% of all dine in and carry out orders that day to our PTSA. More details on the PTSA website here.
- October 12: Walk and Bike to School Day: Safe Routes to School within the City of Takoma Park and the PTSA will man table as kids walk or bike to school to give out materials on safety and treats as well. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- October 21: International and Cultural Heritage Potluck (6-8:30PM in the Cafeteria): Contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or text at 202-403-9534 to let us know how you can help.
- October 24: Citrus Sale Ends
- November 8: Election Day Bake Sale: (6:45AM to 8:15PM) All day bake sale to raise funds for TPMS PTA outside the voting booth. Need parents to join Difference Makers from 7AM to 8PM in 2-hour time slots. Contact email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to join the Committee.
- November 21: PTSA Support During Parent Teacher Conferences Contact: email@example.com
Reconnecting with NAACP at TPMS
What has been your experience at Takoma Park Middle School? The NAACP and parent council representative, Gladys Chi, is spearheading efforts to offer assistance, guidance, and support for African American families and families of color in pursuing the highest quality education in MCPS. Please fill out this survey to let her know how the NAACP can support you and your student(s).
International and Cultural Heritage Celebration - Volunteers and Vendors Needed!
TPMS' International and Cultural Heritage Celebration this year will culminate on Friday, October 21st with a community event featuring a potluck, performances, cultural tables and more. We need your help to make this year's event a success. How?
- Volunteer: Get involved in our planning committee to help us put on the event, sell tickets and organize the event
- Vendors: Seeking local small business or restaurant or someone with contacts to one that could donate food to our event
- Performances: Talented performers to showcase an international dance or music (free or for a nominal fee)
- Display Contributors: Want to join your child to show off your cultural heritage? Donate international items (on loan) like flags, clothing, artifacts, maps, or other items or come sponsor a table with your child to share your tradition/food with the school.
Other volunteer opportunities and initiatives include:
- PAL Program: Able to help get kids outside during lunch?
The TPMS Parents At Lunch. (PAL) program is requesting your support of the staff and students by volunteering 30 minutes of your time to support healthy interactions, ensure the cafeteria and outdoor areas are ready for our students to enjoy and help make lunchtime fun! You can find more details on the program and how to sign up on the PTSA website here.
- Amazon Smile Rewards Program to Support TPMS
You can support the TPMS PTSA just by shopping online at Amazon.com. Please consider bookmarking this link in your favorite Internet browser. Then you’ll be able to remember to click first on that link every time you shop at Amazon. Pass it along to grandma, grandpa, uncles, and aunts, friends, cousins, neighbors, and any others who might be interested in helping out the school. The PTSA appreciates all of your fundraising support! Amazon Smile is a program that donates 0.5% of your eligible purchases at Amazon.com to a TPMS. There is no extra cost to you or to TPMS.
TPMS Parent Teacher Association Links: