By Grant Goodrich and Makenna O'Carroll
Climate with Philly Phlonder
Human Influence with Philly Phlonder
*25% of earth's surface is covered in temperate grasslands.
*Grasslands used to be home of millions of bison, but now there are only 25,000-30,000 pure wild buffalo.
Plant Life in Temperate Grasslands
Plant type/adaptations/ common and scientific name.
1. Big Bluestem/Andropogon gerardii~~ long roots to stay planted during winds
2. Indian Grass/Sorghastrum nutans~~ rough texture to keep from being eaten
3. June grass/~~ Strong root system to grow in hard to live places
4. Purple Coneflower/Echinacea pallida~~ lower petals for easier pollination
5. Stinging nettle/~~ stings when touched to keep from being eaten
Animal Life in Temperate Grasslands
1. Prairie dogs/Cynomys ~~ They burrow holes to escape from being preyed on.
2. Bison/Bison bison~~ Bison have flat teeth to get moss off of rocks to eat
3. Meadowlarks/Sturnella neglecta~~ Meadowlarks bright red belly can aid with attracting mates.
4. Yak/Bos grunniens~~ large intestine to get more nutrients, larger lungs to get more oxygen.
5. Coyote/Canis latrans~~ claws help catch and tear food, camouflage to hide in brush and rocks.
6. Gophers/ geomyidae
7. Lynx/Lynx canadensis