We hope you're having a wonderful summer and having fun in the sun! 😎
We're making as many Back-to-School Resources available early, so you know what to expect. In this update, you'll find registration information, the 2023-24 school supply list, and a calendar of important dates. Other information like bus routes, open houses, and class lists will become available later in August.
Our secretaries and principals have officially returned for the school year. If you need help with anything or have questions, please stop by the school between the hours of 9am-3pm or give us a call at (541) 416-4230. We'd be happy to help you!
Meet the New Principal!
Hello! From Mr. Brian Kissell
Hello, SPE community! I am excited and honored to be the new principal here at Steins Pillar. With Jumpstart already underway, I’ve begun to meet a few of your Kindergarten kiddos, and I am already struck by their remarkable kindness - well done, parents!
I just finished my thirteenth year as a principal, with eight years at Highland Magnet School in Bend and five years in Cardiff by the Sea, California, at Ada Harris Elementary. Before that, I taught Science, Math, and PE at a private independent school in San Diego for nine years. I also became a Dean of Students in addition to teaching part-time for the last four of those nine years.
My education career began as a middle school science teacher at Coronado Middle School, where I attended. I taught alongside some of my former teachers for the first four years of my career, which was a special experience. I completed my undergraduate degree at the University of California at Davis, my teaching credential at the University of San Diego, and my Master's Degree at San Diego State University.
I look forward to getting to know this community. I will be in the school during August getting ready for the new school year, so please stop by and say hello!
Do I really have to register my children who are already attending CCSD?
Our school registration process has two parts:
1. New Families. If this is your first time with children in our school district, you'll need to create a new family account in our online ParentVue system. You can do this online at home. Of course, if you have questions or need help, give us a call here at the school: (541) 416-4230
What You'll Need for New Students:
- Access to a desktop/laptop computer or device.
- Email account.
- Minimum of one (1) local emergency contact and phone number (other than a parent/guardian).
- Immunization vaccine dates for your student (new student only, the paper record is still required for school).
- Student’s health conditions and medications taken at school (new student only).
- Student’s residential address. Enrollment is submitted to the attendance area school. Enrollments can be transferred once approved.
2. Returning Families. This is more of a checklist if you already have students in the system. Parents need to sign yearly release forms and waivers, which pop up at the beginning. You'll need to update student health information if there are any changes, and most importantly, double-check your contact information and make sure your email and phone numbers are correct. Email, text, and phone calls are important ways the school and District Office communicate with families, so please make sure you check "yes" to be contacted.
IF YOU CAN'T REMEMBER YOUR LOGIN OR PASSWORD FOR YOUR PARENTVUE ACCOUNT, CALL THE SCHOOL WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ATTEND. THE SECRETARIES CAN ASSIST YOU.
School Supply Lists!
Check out the School Supply list for the 2023-24 school year. You'll find a rundown of supplies from all grade levels. Click on the button below to view and download.
School Hours: 8:10 a.m. – 2:25 p.m.
School Doors Open: 7:50 a.m.
Lunch K – 2: 11:10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Lunch 3 – 5: 11:40 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
School Dismissal: 2:25 p.m.
Important August Dates
- Aug 22nd | School Bus Routes Released
- Aug 25th | Class Lists Posted on the Front Door or Available in ParentVue (Kindergarten classes will be assigned after conferences in September)
- Aug 28th | September Menus Released
- Aug 31st | Open House, 4:30pm - 6pm
- Sept 4th | Labor Day, No School
- Sept 5th | First Day of School (1st - 5th Grades)
- Sept 5th, 6th, & 7th | Kindergarten Conferences
- September 11th | First Day for Kindergarten
Consistent communication is super important to our district and our staff here at SPE. We'll stay in touch through a variety of channels, so
- Weekly Newsletter. We'll send out a weekly update through a platform called Smore. It's an electronic newsletter you'll receive in your email, and we'll post it on our website. This is the best way to know what's happening on a weekly basis. If you see messages from Smore come through email or text, it's NOT spam! 😊
- Email. Our principal, front office, and teachers are likely to send a variety of emails. Make sure and check your email inbox. If you use Gmail, check the "Updates" folder, as sometimes emails from our school show up there. Also, check your Spam and Junk folders, just in case!
- Remind & Seesaw. Teachers may use these apps to send messages and communicate with families. Your child's teacher will help you get connected!
- Facebook. We use social media to share fun and exciting things happening in our schools. This is NOT the primary source for news and updates; however, we will share things like important updates that require action from families, school closures & delays due to weather, and other emergencies when necessary.
- Website. This is a great place to find our weekly newsletter, news updates, links to bus routes, meals, and other resources. Visit us at: www.spe.crookcountyschools.org
- Phone Calls/Text Messages. We like to keep phone calls and texts to a minimum, so our goal is to use them for important updates or actions we need parents to take. We also call and text if there's an emergency or when school is canceled or delayed due to weather. Please make sure your settings in ParentVue give us permission to call and text, or you might miss important communication.
Meet Your Leadership Team!
- Mrs. Jenna Bese-Vilante
- Job Opening for a Second Secretary