by allison duong
explorer Christopher Columbus
What you need to know about Christopher Columbus
- he was alive during the Middle Ages and was considered very lucky because he was in middle class. people back then were mostly peasants, and very rarely were people in the higher class.
- his career started when he was just 14. he decided to leave his father and his father's wool shop to apprentice himself to a merchant on a trading ship.
- when Columbus was just the age of nineteen, he had his first long voyage on one of his employee's ship to the island of Chios in the Aegean Sea. it was most likely his first and second trip to Chios in the year 1475. he learned how to steer and navigate the ship during that year, it was on open water and it was a long journey.
- most people believe that he discovered North America but that's not true. he wasn't the first one to discover this land. people before him had discovered it and claimed it as theirs. it wouldn't make sense of Christopher to find a land but say it was his even though the people before him discovered it.
- one accomplishment of Christopher was him claiming the Caribbean islands for the Spain.
- Christopher was not the person to prove that the earth was round. the people who had discovered that earth was round was the Greeks. a Greek mathematician named Pythagoras discovered it and Aristotle proved it with observations about space.
- he actually made four voyages to the new world ! most people say that Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492 but he actually went into the new world three more times. he went to Caribbean island, South America, and Central America.
- he died in 1506 and was buried in Valladolid, Spain. but then he was moved to Seville. But in request of his daughter, that was his daughter in law, he and his real son was moved to cross the Atlantic, to Hispaniola, and was finally put into santo Domingo cathedral in 1877.