St. Patrick Catholic School
Weekly Bulletin - January 12, 2020
LOVE was the focus of our new year school assembly this past Monday. During the assembly we talked about growing the hearts of our friends and family through acts of kindness, love and empathy. We tied showing love to others into our division theme of LOVE: FIRST, LAST AND ALWAYS and that God created us to show love and kindness to others. Students, staff and our school community will continue to add ways they show love to our bulletin board throughout the month of January.
Welcome to 2020 and the start of a new decade! Please ensure your child is dressed properly for winter elements as the January temperatures are starting to decline. Our cold weather policy remains in place but we want to ensure our students have access to outdoor recess and physical exercise when it is safe to do so.
EICS Blanket Exercise
Dear Parents and Staff:
Parents and Staff of EICS students are invited to take part in a Blanket Exercise to be held at Central Learning Services (310 Broadview Road) in Sherwood Park on Wednesday, January 15, beginning at 6:30 p.m.
The Blanket Exercise is an active participation learning activity based on the major themes and findings of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples. The goal is to build understanding about our shared history as Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in Canada by walking through pre-contact, treaty-making, colonization and resistance. Everyone is actively involved as they step onto blankets that represent the land, and into the role of First Nations, Inuit and later Métis peoples. By engaging on an emotional and intellectual level, the Blanket Exercise effectively educates and increases empathy. For further information, please view this KAIROS Blanket Exercise video.
Participants are asked to bring a blanket that can be placed on the floor and stepped on for this activity.
Please RSVP by Monday, January 13 by filling out this linked Google Form.
We will also have Eva Stang join us at this event. Eva, a Métis Culture and Knowledge Keeper, has been working with EICS this year, supporting the continued growth in staff and administrator knowledge of Indigenous perspectives.
If you have any questions, please email Crystal Cholin, Learning Services Consultant (email@example.com).
Celebrating the Epiphany in Kindergarten Dacey this week......
Jan 15 - Kodiaks visit
Jan 16 - Hockey Academy am
Jan 16 - Gr. 4 B-ball @ St. Pat's 3:30-4:30pm
Jan 17 - PD day-No School
Jan 22 - Gr. 4 B-ball @ St. Pat's 3:30-4:30pm
Jan 23 - School Council Meeting @ 7pm
Jan 24 - Hockey Academy am
Jan 24 - Nature Kindergarten
Jan 24 - Hot Lunch - Chopped Leaf
Jan 28 - Gr. 4 B-ball @ St. Pat's 3:30-4:30pm
Jan 29 - Spin the Wheel Assembly
Jan 31 - School Closure-No School
ACCOUNTABILITY SURVEY-coming in January
SCHOOL SAFETY INFORMATION
- Please be aware of the crosswalks in front of our school as our Grade 4 Safety Patrollers are now on duty! **Be safe and use the designated crosswalks**
- Please stay clear of the bus lanes at the beginning and end of the school day
- Families/Students using 54th ave (North Side of School Yard) as a pick up/drop-off location, please use extreme caution. There are no crosswalks and it is a very busy street with heavy traffic
TIS THE SEASON FOR HEAD LICE!
- Avoid head-to-head contact with friends when playing at school.
- Don't share clothing such as hats, scarves, coats or hair ribbons.
- Say no to sharing combs, brushes or any other hair products.
Click MyHealth.Alberta.ca for more information on Head Lice and How to Treat it.
HOW TO REPORT AN ABSENCE
- Call 1-877-246-9970 - option 3
- Use the SchoolMessenger App
- Use the "SchoolMessenger" link in the EICS App (this requires the SchoolMessenger app to be installed on a phone)
- Use https://go.schoolmessenger.ca