Trail Blazer News
Everyone made a 100% on their exit ticket in math on Thursday! We celebrated by dancing and singing! I am so proud of my Trail Blazers!
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite game?
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite book?
Jessica: I'll Teach My 100 Words.
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite food?
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite day of the week and why?
Jessica: Friday because people tell jokes.
Phoebe: What is your favorite song?
Jessica: "Blank Space."
Phoebe: What is your favorite movie?
Jessica: Hotel Transylvania.
Phoebe: What is your favorite superhero?
Jessica: Wonder Woman.
Phoebe: What is your favorite holiday and why?
Jessica: Thanksgiving because you give thanks for people.
Phoebe: What is your favorite animal?
Phoebe: What is your favorite cereal?
Jessica: Raisin Bran.
Wish List: We would greatly appreciate your support!
- Page Protectors for our Victory Binder
- Painter's Tape
- Nut-free Snacks
This week we learned about about having a "Growth Mindset."
This video will give you an overview of what a "Growth Mindset."
"The Power of Yet" helped us better understand growth mindset.
11/20/15- 12/2/15: Book Fair
11/23/15: Class Book Fair Preview
11/24/15: Class Book Fair Purchase Day
11/25/15-11/27/15: No School
12/4/15: Nutcracker Field Trip
12/9/15: Colburn Field Trip
12/9/15: K-2 Winter Concert (Time TBD)
Researchers hard at work investigating their states of matter wonders!
What We are Learning
Reading: We are focusing using diagrams and images to understand the main idea of nonfiction texts. We are also focusing on our RAPS strategy (Restate, Answer, Prove it, and Summarize) as we practice written comprehension.
RI.2.7 Explain how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.
RL.2.7 Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
Writing: Students will conduct an independent research project about something they wonder. Students will learn how to use Cornell Notes to take notes about key ideas and organize their thoughts. Their final product will be an online "board" that displays the important information they discovered.
- W.2.7: Participate in shared research and writing projects (read a number of books on a single topic to produce a report; record science observations).
Fundations: We will continue Unit 6 on Monday. We are focusing on vowel-consonant-e words within multi-syllabic words.
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3. Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3. Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We will continue our addition and subtraction unit on Monday. Students are learning various strategies to solve addition and subtraction equations within 100.
- 2.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one and two step word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
Science: We will be exploring the properties of matter through movement and hands-on learning.
- 2.P.2 Understand properties of solids and liquids and the changes they undergo.
Social Studies: We will be exploring our roles as citizens and the branches of government.
- 2.H.1 Understand how various sources provide information about the past. Civics & Government.
- 2.C&G.1 Understand the purpose of governments.
- 2.C&G.2 Understand the roles and responsibilities of citizens.