Avoca West News
November 15, 2019
Spotlight on Social Emotional Learning
Goal 2 of the Illinois Social Emotional Learning Standards is for students to use social awareness and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain positive relationships. Last edition I shared that this includes:
- 2A - Recognizing the feelings and perspectives of others and
- 2B - Recognizing individual and group similarities and differences
The two additional facets of this overarching goal call for us to help our students:
- 2C - Use communication and social skills to interact effectively with others and
- 2D - Demonstrate ability to prevent, manage, & resolve interpersonal conflicts in constructive ways.
And we thought teaching academics was tough!
At School these skills come into play in every single setting for our students and staff! We will be working with students to explicitly teach them how to:
- Communicate with others -- including verbal and nonverbal communication, listening and responding to others
- Be a good friend, foster positive relationships, and recognize and resist negative relationships and factors (like peer pressure)
- Deal with conflict -- both which they experience themselves and how to advocate and intervene on behalf of others
As we prepare our students for much more than academics, THIS work will allow them to collaborate with others long after they've left our building! This is also where we see the need to partner most with families --- and ideally the skills, strategy, and language we use will help with conflict that arises at home as well. As our school team learns more about how to best share common approaches to this, I will be sure to share that language with families to see how we might build your toolkit!
5Essentials Survey - An Annual Invitation
Follow us on social media!
Don't forget to stop by the Avoca PTC website for updated information and dates to put on your calendar as well. There are many exciting events going on -- including our Spirit Wear sales!!