Carman Paw Print
May 2, 2021
IMPORTANT DATES COMING UP
Dear Carman Parents,
Welcome to a brand new month! It's so nice to be able to get outside and enjoy the weather.
Just a few reminders for upcoming events:
*We are hosting our second Family Engagement Night on Thursday, May 6 from 6:30 -7:15 pm. Please see the flyer below on how to RSVP and receive your free math resources.
* All In-Person Students will have Virtual Learning every Monday through May 24th.
* Carman Trails PTO is sponsoring a Night Out at Fritz's Frozen Custard on May 27th from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. with 10% of sales going back to Carman. Don't forget to show your flyer (located in this issue of the Paw Print)
* There is No School on Monday, May 31st.
* The last day of school will be a HALF-DAY on Thursday, June 3rd -- this means students will be released at 1:05 p.m. We must ask families to plan accordingly for student pick-up that day.
With CT Pride,
PREPARING FOR 6th GRADE - IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR 5th GRADE FAMILIES
A Message from Dr. Love
- We will not be busing over the 5th graders this year. Instead we will be doing a live Zoom with all the 5th grade students that includes: some current 6th graders talking about a day in the life of a middle school student; a virtual tour of the building; and some introductions from our 6th grade teachers. We have several 6th graders helping us plan it as we are certain they know more about what the kids need than we do :) This will take place near the end of May.
- We will be doing a half day, in-person orientation in August (likely the week before school starts) for students to help them feel comfortable in the building and to begin making connections with the 5th grade students from the other elementary schools.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
VIRTUAL Math Family Engagement Night - Open for All Carman Families
Dear Carman Trails Families,
We are excited to offer a VIRTUAL Math Family Engagement Night for ALL Carman students! The night will include an opportunity for you to learn from our Math Support Specialist, Mrs. Yates. She will lead this family-friendly evening and teach participants some easy games that can help give a boost to your children. This event will include ready-to-use ideas that will benefit ALL students in grades K-5. In order to participate, you will need a device that allows you to join a Zoom call. In addition, we will have supplies for you to use on the night of the event. We can send them home with your child OR you can pick them up from the school on May 3, 4, or 5 during the hours of 8:15 am - 4:45 pm.
Here are the details of the event:
What: Virtual Math Family Engagement Night
Who: All Carman Families
When: Thursday, May 6
Time: 6:30 pm - 7:15 pm
Here is the link to RSVP for the event. Please complete a new entry for each child.
Please use this link to join the Zoom on May 6 at 6:30 pm. Please feel free to join a few minutes early.
If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Sarah Yates at email@example.com .
We hope to see you there!
Family Engagement Planning Team
Parent Pointer: Technology at Our Fingertips
Google Earth enables you to travel, explore, and learn about the world by interacting with a virtual globe. You can view satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, and much more. Click here for a video tutorial:
Interact on Google Earth as a family!
Relive family trips - drop markers on the most important places and describe them. Add personal photos and videos to make it more vivid.
Plan a dream vacation - do the same thing as above, but instead, show where you would like to travel someday.
Family History Timeline - show your family’s migration history.
Find You on the Map - drop a marker on your house and family members homes. Use points of reference to identify scale and distance.
MR. FOUSHEE'S ADVENTURE CLUB NEWS - MAY 2nd, 2021
Ending Earth Month With A Big Splash!
This week we finished up our Planet Earth month. We dove deep into exploring the Earth's oceans. Students created beautiful ocean paintings using watercolor resist techniques. Later in the week the students made JellyFish friends utilizing upcycled materials such as styrofoam bowls. May is our last month of school (I refuse to count the three days in June!) and since the students have embraced the curriculum this year we’re giving them the freedom to choose what we do (within reason). Ideas so far include, sewing, wacky science experiments, wiffle ball games, trampolining (not reasonable), and many more. We are excited to try out these new activities to finish out the school year!
- Mr. Foushee
Parkway School District Parent Zoom Debrief Session - "Don't Wait" Movie
Thursday, May 6th, 6-7pm
This is an online event.
Parents: You are invited to a Zoom webinar to discuss the film "Don't Wait": Addiction is real - Stop the silence. Start the conversation. Save a life.
Presented by the Parkway School District.
When: May 6, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
Topic: "Don't Wait" Film Debrief and Q and A
Click here to register:
Nurse's Notes - Information about Seasonal Allergies
Dear Carman Parents:
The link below is a detailed sheet of symptoms used to help you identify what illness your child may be experiencing (flu, cold, allergies, or Covid). If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call me at 314-415-6110.
Thank you -
Nurse Melissa Hermann
In addition, the link below contains the May Nurse's Newsletter for parents including the following topics:
Stay Connected with These Updates!
May - Missouri Bicycle Month / National Clean Air Month
May 3: All Students Virtual Learning
May 3 - 7: Teacher Appreciation Week & School Nutrition Employee Week
May 5: National School Nurse Day
May 10: All Students Virtual Learning
May 17: All Students Virtual Learning
May 24: All Students Virtual Learning
May 27: PTO Sponsored Fundraiser at Fritz's Custard in Valley Park - 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
May 31: No School - Memorial Day
June - National Men's Health Month
June 3: Last Day of School - 1/2 Day A.M. -- DISMISSAL AT 1:05 p.m.
June 9: Progress Reports released
June 14: Summer School Classes Begin / End on July 2nd