Jewell Jaguar Update
March 20, 2015
NO SCHOOL MARCH 23 - 27th NEXT WEEK FOR SPRING BREAK!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
- Wednesday, April 1st, 11:45am release for all students, Conference Prep Day for Teachers, NO AFTERNOON KINDERGARTEN
- Friday, April 3rd, 5th Grade Parent Meeting for Outdoor School, 5:30pm
- Friday, April 3rd, PTO Mother/Son Western Fun, 6:30-8:30pm
- Wednesday, April 8th, 4-8pm Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, April 9th, NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS, 8am-8pm Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Friday, April 10th, NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS, Building Closed
- Tuesday, April 14th, PTO McMenamin's Friends and Family Fundraiser, 5pm - Close, 50% of proceeds goes to Jewell
- Friday, April 17th, PTO Father/Daughter Dance, 6:30-8:30pm
- Tuesday, April 21st, Lifetouch Spring Pictures
- Wednesday, April 22nd, Kindergarten Round Up/Open House, 2:30-5pm
- Thursday, April 23rd, 3rd Grade Music Performance, 6pm
Scott Edmondson Named Next Year's New Principal for Jewell
Bend-La Pine Schools Superintendent Ron Wilkinson announced that he has selected Scott Edmondson to become R.E. Jewell Elementary School's next principal. Edmondson is currently principal at Sky View Middle School, a position he has held for eight years.
Edmondson is excited to make the transition from middle school to elementary school level administration. "Deep down inside, I've always felt very passionate about the elementary age group," said Edmondson. "I look forward to being able to help mold and work with students at this very impressionable age."
Prior to his time at Sky View, Edmondson served as principal at North Bend Middle School in North Bend, Oregon for four years. He also has eight years of classroom teaching experience, including four at the elementary level.
Edmondson is known for his relationship-building skills and will work closely with parents and staff members to foster a strong community at Jewell. Edmondson said he is particularly looking forward to collaborating with staff members. "I'm honored to have the opportunity to work with the outstanding staff at Jewell. They have a longstanding history as a school of thinking outside of the box and being willing to do everything they can to support students," said Edmondson.
Edmondson will begin his new position with the school July 1.
Parent-Teacher Conferences April 8th and 9th
Kindergarten Registration Open House - April 22nd 2:30-5pm
Smarter Balance Testing for 3rd - 5th Graders Coming Soon
Jewell families, when we return from spring break our 3rd through 5th grade students will begin their end of year testing. During this time it is vital that students are at school each day. If you have a planned family vacation, please talk with your child’s teacher ASAP so they can work with you to ensure that your child does not miss their testing dates. In addition, please make sure your child is getting enough rest and eating a good breakfast each day. New to us this year we will be using the Smarter Balance Test as our measure of student achievement. For further information on the Smarter Balance assessments please see the attached link. Feel free to contact the school if you have any other questions.
Nashelle's Anti-Bullying Campaign Comes to Mrs. Northrop's Class
Nashelle has started an Anti-Bullying campaign with school aged children. The students got to design their own necklaces and get a meaningful word stamped on them. Kids chose words like "happy," "love" and "joy." The hope is that children will pick a word that will help them feel confident or comfortable if they are feeling alone or sad. Then they will have their necklace to wear with that special word stamped on it to wear as a special reminder.
"I think kids take this very seriously, said Michelle Hart, communications director for Nashelle." It seems most everyone knows someone who has been bullied or is currently being bullied."