Chapel of the Cross Faith & Family
Family Bible time for the week of May 17-May 23
Welcome to Chapel's Faith & Family!
Philip Shares Good News
Who do you listen to? Why do you listen to them?
Philip was one of the seven deacons chosen to care for the poor in Jerusalem. But the non-believing Jews started attacking believers, so many of them left Jerusalem. When Philip starting sharing the Good News in other places, people listened to him, and the Holy Spirit worked in their hearts. They believed in Jesus, and were baptized! Then the Holy Spirit told Philip to go to Gaza, where he would find someone else who needed to hear the Good News.
Bible Lesson: Philip Shares Good News Acts 8:26-40
- Open your family Bible or a Children's Bible storybook and read this account together OR
- Read this account using an online Bible (Biblegateway.com) Acts 8:26-40 OR
- Listen to the Bible account being read using the video below.
Talk about it
- What was the man from Ethiopia reading in his chariot?
- What did Philip help the man understand?
- What did the Ethiopian man ask Philip to do?
- What do you think the Ethiopian did when he got back home?
The man was reading a passage from Isaiah 53 in the Scriptures, God's Word. The passage talked about the lamb who would die for God's people.
Philip told the Ethiopian that those words were talking about God's promise to send a Savior to take away our sins. Then Philip told him that Jesus the Savior had come! The Ethiopian believed, and asked Philip to baptize him.
The Ethiopian went back to his country in Africa and shared the Good News about Jesus that Philip had shared with him. Today there are millions of Christian believers in Ethiopia, and millions more believers all over Africa!
Faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. Romans 10:17
Things To Do Together
The Lord's Prayer
Bible Lesson: Concordia Publishing House
Chapel of the Cross--Lutheran
Our Core Values:
- Empowered by the cross of Christ
- People working together
- Opening the Word to all people
- Showing the love of Jesus
- Warm and supportive environment