Team Thomson News & Notes
May 15, 2017
Important Information for You!
Senior Walk-Friday, May 19th
As I have shared with teachers, this Friday, May 19th the graduating class of 2017 will participate in a 'Senior Walk' through Thomson Elementary. We are hoping that this will become a tradition as the seniors reflect on the beginnings of their education and our kindergartner and early 5's students can look to the future and what they will become. In order to do this and to ensure that the seniors are back to the high school in time for the Senior Farewell, they will be arriving at Thomson at 1:00 p.m. This means that we will need to adjust our lunch periods by 20 minutes in order to have our students in from recess and lined in the hallway for their arrival. Please plan to arrive at lunch 20 minutes prior to your scheduled lunch period and for it to end 20 minutes earlier as well, teacher lunches will not be affected in total minutes. If you have any questions, please let me know and we can discuss further at our staff meeting on Wednesday if needed. Additionally, we will send home a note asking our students to wear their 'Spirit Wear' on Friday...Thomson Teddy t-shirts, Davison gear, or Maroon and Gold.
Our PTO meeting for May will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m. tomorrow evening, there are no scheduled teacher representatives. If you are able to attend, please let me know. The time is being adjusted to accommodate the Board of Education Meeting.
5D+ Observations, Noticings & Wonderings
As I complete observations it is very important that teachers respond to "Noticings and Wonderings" within a 48 hour window of receiving them. Your responses serve as evidence of your practice and support your work as indicated in the rubric. Along with professional dialogue your responses are valuable in providing clarification of procedures and practices you incorporate into your professional practice.
Additionally, at this week's staff meeting I will be providing you with information on how to add evidence and responses to your Growth Plan. While this is not required, it does provide you with an opportunity to add information for consideration in your final evaluation.
Learning Targets: Communication of the Learning Target
We have talked and I have written about learning targets throughout the year. Some aspects of "purpose" are still under study (Success Criteria) but communication of the target has been basic since the introduction of the 5D+ rubric and even before moving to the 5D+. So let's take a look at where you think your growth might be in regard to 'Communication of the Learning Target' or P4 on the 5D+ Rubric.
1. If you state the learning target once during the lesson and check for students understanding of the learning target you are performing at the Basic level of instructional practice for the P4 indicator.
2. If you communicate the learning target through verbal and visual strategies and check for student understanding you are performing at the Proficient level.
3. If you communicate the learning target through verbal and visual strategies, check for understanding of the learning target AND reference the target throughout instruction you are performing at the Distinguished level.
4. Rarely communicate with students about the learning target? Well, that would be Unsatisfactory. I am happy to share that I have not observed anyone who is performing at this level!
Now is a good time to begin to do some additional self-reflection regarding your understanding of the indicators. if you have any questions, I would be happy to discuss this with you further and to help as you grow further in this area.
Intersession III is approaching. Please unplug all extra electrical devices or vampire items such as radios, refrigerators (allow for defrosting), microwaves, lamps, etc. Do not unplug computers but make sure they are off. Every effort helps! Thanks for doing your part!
Orders for 2017/18
Anna has placed all the ordering information in your mailboxes for the 2017/18 school year. As always, please check cupboards and drawers and use your classroom money intentionally. Teachers have $170 to spend on supplies. This does not include your classroom PTO (A-74) account money. Orders are due by June 2nd. If you have any questions, please see Anna or me.
Quotes Worth Reading
"In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less.”
Mindset change/challenge... How will you be your best possible self today?
Celebrations & Announcements
$5 Staff Luncheon, Friday, May 19th...Sign up in the Staff Lounge
Important Upcoming Dates:
- May 14th-May 19th-PLC Week
- Monday, May 14th-PTO Meeting, 5:30 p.m.; Board of Education Meeting, 7 p.m. H.S. AMR
- Tuesday, May 16th- Playground Monitor Meeting, 10:30 a.m.; Fire Drill; ELA Meeting 4:15-6:15 p.m.; District School Improvement Meeting, 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 17th-Staff Meeting, 7:35 a.m. (School Improvement/Reading Now Network/3rd Grade Reading Bill; Behavior Data Review/New Laws for 2017/18; Senior Walk; 5D+ Adding Evidence)
- Thursday, May 18th-Elementary Principals Meeting
- Friday, May 19th-Staff Luncheon; Senior Walk, 1 p.m.
- May 22nd-26th-Intersession #3, Enjoy!
- Tuesday, May 30th-Science Curriculum Meeting, 4:15-6:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 31st-Title I Parent Meetings, 10 a.m. & 5 p.m.
- Thursday, June 1st-Elementary Principals Meeting
- Friday, June 2nd-Fire Drill