This Is How We Lakeview
January 2023 Edition
Happy New Year!
Save the date! - I know that this is a few months away but people have been asking about May Dance, we currently have the date set for May 20th in the evening.
At the start of the school year, all students took the iReady Diagnostic for both Reading and Math. From these iReady diagnostic scores, students were given a growth goal known as typical growth and a stretch goal (which is a challenge goal) as well as a predicted Performance Level Descriptor (PLDs). These predicted PLDs gave the students an idea of how they would perform on the Ohio State Tests had they 1. taken it at that moment in time, 2. if they meet their growth goal (typical growth) and also 3. if they challenge themselves and meet their stretch goal. I have attached a file called "Understanding your student's diagnostic results" below if you would like more information on the diagnostic scores.
The Performance Level Descriptors (PLDs) are the link between Ohio’s Learning Standards and performance standards. They were developed by Ohio educators and other content experts to recommend the most appropriate implementation of content and skills for Ohio’s State Tests as part of the Standard Setting process. In the articles below, you will find the Performance Level Descriptors separated out for the 7th grade tests and the 8th grade tests.
From the iReady Diagnostic in the fall, the students were given their predicted level as a number. Level 1 = Limited, Level 2 = Basic, Level 3 = Proficient, Level 4 = Accomplished, Level 5 = Advanced. Starting next week, students will be taking the second iReady diagnostic and teachers will be having data chats with the students so that they know their predicted Performance Level for the upcoming Ohio State Tests (OSTs). Our goal over the next 12 weeks is to work with the students, providing enrichment and intervention so that the students gain one level (or Level Up) on their predicted scores (see the Level Up Plan below). I have included "Tips to Support Your Student with iReady" to help them achieve this goal.
7th grade Ohio State Tests are coming!
As a 7th grader, your student will take two Ohio State Tests (OSTs) in the Spring: one in English Language Arts and one in Math. I have attached the Performance Level Descriptors for the possible tests below. (Please note, if your 7th grade student is enrolled in Gifted ELA 8, they will take the 8th grade ELA test).
Test Dates are as follows:
April 11-12: ELA 7
April 25-26: Math 7, Algebra
8th grade Ohio State Tests are coming!
As an 8th grader, your student will take three Ohio State Tests (OSTs) in the Spring: one in English Language Arts, one in Math, and one in Science. I have listed the Performance Level Descriptors for the possible tests below. (Please note, if your 8th grader is enrolled in Gifted English 9, they will take the 8th grade ELA test again).
Test Dates are as follows:
April 11-12: ELA 8
April 18-19: Science 8
April 25-26: Math 8, Algebra, Geometry
8th grade students - the Global Scholars program at North is now accepting applications for the 23-24 school year!
Interested in addressing real global-local issues while learning about global cultures and careers? The application is open for the 23-24 incoming cohort of the Global Scholars program!
Ideally, students start as freshmen or sophomores so that they can finish all three years of the program. Students enjoy off-campus adventures to locations such as Nestle in Marysville (chocolate and coffee!), Honda (cars, planes and electronics!), the Grange Audubon Insurance Center, and visits to multiple Columbus area colleges.
Application Link for 23-24:
Here is information about the program:
We need your feedback!
Pickerington Schools' Calendar Committee, composed of district leaders and staff, created the proposed 2023-24 school year calendar, and are now seeking feedback from the community to consider before approval by the Board of Education. Please share your input about the calendar via this form. The feedback window will close at the end of business on January 13, 2023. Thank you!
Did you know that Pickerington has an eSports Team?!
Love to game? PLSD is seeking middle, junior high and high school students for our Battle Cats eSports Teams! There's a virtual informational meeting with details about the team on Monday, January 9 from 6 – 7pm. The video call link is on the flyer below, along with a QR code which links to a form where you can express interest in joining the team. Also, here's a few reasons why you should consider becoming a Battle Cat:
* You could earn scholarship opportunities to compete in eSports at the collegiate level
* Play spring AND Fall seasons
* There is one team for ALL of Pickerington
* Opportunity to game with friends and ones you have not yet met
* Athletes are coached to promote in- and out-of-game skills
* VOD creation, editing, and review opportunities
* Commentating and streaming opportunities
* Multiple labs across the district
* Additional game titles may be added in the future
* Can count toward certain graduation requirements
* Opportunities to travel to LAN events and other tournaments
* Official jerseys and merchandise available
* Fun and competitive atmosphere
Buy Your Lakeview Yearbook Now!
This year has been filled with stories and memories that your child will be excited to look back on for years to come. Help your child reminisce with a copy of the Pickerington Lakeview Jr High yearbook.
You don’t want to miss out on this one-of-a-kind book so be sure to order yours today!
The Community Corner
- Thank you to those of you who have reached out with session ideas for our Club Day! Our next scheduled Club Day is Friday, January 27th. Next week, students will have the chance to select which club session they want to attend on the 27th, and club assignments will come out closer to the 27th.
- As we start our Level Up initiative, our academic teams (Team A, Team B, etc.) will be competing each week to see which teams outperform the others in terms of iReady, ALEKS, and Membean completion. At a pep rally before state testing begins, one team in the 7th grade and one team in the 8th grade will be awarded a trophy for their efforts.
- We're getting close to the scheduling process for the 2023-24 school year. Be on the lookout for more information in the coming weeks for in-person engagement opportunities where you'll be able to interact with school staff and learn more about the scheduling process.
Updates from the Family Feedback Form
We did not receive any new feedback within the past week.
The Lakeview Family Feedback Form
2022-2023 School Year Calendar
Lakeview Junior High Important Links
Office Hours 6:45 am - 3:15 pm
Location: 12445 Ault Road, Pickerington, OH, USA