- It was discovered by Lord Rayleigh and Sir William Ramsay in 1894
- Isolated by looking at residue obtained by taking away nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and water from clean air
- Recognized by the characteristic lines at the red end of the spectrum
- It wasn’t until 1957 that the symbol was changed from A to Ar
What are its uses?
- Aragon isotopes are used as precursors the production of radioisotope
- Used in gas filled light bulbs
- Also used as an inert gas shield
There is no biological role in humans
What is it?
- Color less
Geology ( in the universe )
- The air contains less than 1% of Argon
- Found natural rocks and it constitutes 1.3% of earth’s atmosphere by weight
- Mars contains 2% of Argon
Picture URL: https://eo.ucar.edu/basics/images/air_pie.jpg
What are its properties?
- Density of a solid is 1616 kg
- Melting point 83.8 ( -308.7 Fahrenheit or -189.3 Celsius)
- Boiling point 87.3 (-302.4 Fahrenheit or -185.8 Celsius)
- Atomic mass is 39.94
Interesting Facts !!
- Noble gas (very inert)
- Came from the greek word "argos" meaning very inert